Sometime, we believe, in 1902 or 03 my grandfather, Robert Edward Tripp and his wife Mary Elizabeth Bonner Tripp moved to SC from Bonnerton, NC. Baby Josephine was born, December 29, 1902 but are not certain if she was born in Bonnerton before they moved or if they were already in SC when she was born.
Our understanding is that Robert worked in the timber industry near Georgetown. That he took a train each week to a lumber camp where he worked and then came home on the weekends.
Family records state Josephine died May 29, 1904 and was buried in SC. Our family has never known where Josephine was buried but have assumed near where they lived somewhere near Georgetown.
The clues we have lead to nowhere on internet sites and I am hoping someone can point me to other areas for investigation.
The information we have is:
1) A letter from BB Ross of Bonnerton NC dated May 11, 1903 written to Mrs. Mary Tripp, Harper, SC
2)Letter is regarding the selling of some stock, but ends with “I hope you will come to see us and show that baby.”
3) A letter from E K Joudon, MD Surgeon to G & W Ry and ACL Corporation, Rosemary, SC. Dated May 20 (or 25th) 1904
a. Addressed to RE Tripp, Skidder 5 Kilsock Bay Georgetown, SC
b. Dr. Joudon writes that Josephine is real sick again and his wife has asked the Dr. to write and wants Robert to come up “tonight if possible”. Dr. Joudon thinks Mrs. Tripp wants to go to NC with the baby. He goes on to note that “the baby’s fever rose and her bowels got bad this morning and it has made her quite sick.”
4) A letter from FH Hyatt, Mutual Life Insurance Company, Columbia SC dated 8-15, 1904 acknowledging Mrs. Tripp’s change of address from Rosemary SC to Bonnerton, NC
5) A letter dated August 25, 1904 from Mrs. JW Powell, Georgetown, SC addressed to Mr. RE Tripp, Bonnerton, NC acknowledging receipt of letter to Mr. Powell and saying Mr. Powell is critically ill and when he is better will be able to give the requested information. It closes in saying “I think he will be able to suit in buying the Stone”
6) A letter from JE Butler of Georgetown SC date Oct. 8, 1904 to Mr. RE Tripp of Bonnerton, NC acknowledging receipt of his letter to Mr. Powell of the “4th instant”, concerning a tomb stone for your baby. It goes on to say “Since Mr. Powell’s death I have been appointed agent for the stone company at this place and I will be glad to serve you.” He goes on to give various prices of a marble slab for the footstone and says “putting it up is a matter of little expense”. He closes with “Hoping to hear from you very soon,
This is all the information we have concerning the death of Josephine and her burial.
As you may know Rosemary, SC does not exist any longer, but on some web searches the area is believed to be in Barnwell County, SC. This seems to be a long way from Georgetown, therefore, part of the mystery is what county do I begin my research for a Doctor Joudon and a Mr. Powell that had a tombstone company?
Any assistance will be appreciated.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|