One thing to keep in mind is that while some don't list Benjamin Rogers who md. Sarah Highsmith as son of Peleg Rogers and Isabell Brand, we know that Peleg Rogers was in Bertie Co. NC prior to being in Duplin Co. NC where they say Elizabeth Highsmith died. I have no idea if that is accurate on place of death for Highsmith, but if it is why was she in the same county as Peleg Rogers and his other children ? It could be as simple as the only migration route south into SC but I just don't know. Here is what I have on Peleg Rogers being in Bertie Co. NC and you can see the time line of when they were then in Duplin and maybe pick up the trail . . .
These are records by two different DUPLIN and WAKE CO. NC ROGERS researchers on this same family . .
STANLY DEWAYNE ROGERS listed :
Peleg Rogers b. bet. 1695 - 1705 in Westerly, Washington Co., Rhode Island and died abt. 1786 Duplin Co. NC. He married Isabell Brand 8/25/1726 in Westerly, RI. She was born abt. 1705 and died 4/25/1754 in Wilmington, North Carolina.
PELEG ROGERS b. bet. 1695 - 1705 RI and ISABELL BRAND had children listed by Stanly were :
1. PELEG ROGERS b. 1747 NC; d. 5/18/1811 Baldwin Co. GA. Peleg md. Mary Pittman 1782. She was b. 5/10/1754 in VA and died 10/21/1816 in Baldwin Co. GA.
2. THOMAS ROGERS b. 1716 Westerly, RI; d. 1782 Duplin or Edgecombe Co. NC.
3. JOB ROGERS b. bet. 1718 - 1745 ; md. MARY STANBURY , 11/6/1728 b. Voluntown Conn. ( one of the facts on Job listed by Stanly says Job may have died in Towncreek, Wake/ Granville Co. NC. )
4. JAMES ROGERS b. bet. 1718 - 1745 ; d. 1794 Duplin Co.NC ( he also had a son named JAMES ROGERS ) .
5. JOHN ROGERS b. bet. 1718 - 1745. ( Fact listed by Stanly for this John Rogers is that he died after 1768 in Craven Co. SC ( think this is a county no longer in existance ) .
Now while Stanly D. Rogers listed the 5th son as JOHN ROGERS, we see that another NC researcher named W. RAY ROGERS had a file where he listed BENJAMIN ROGERS as this son and W. Ray Rogers information is :
PEELG ROGERS b. abt. 1705 md. ISABELLA BRAND who d. 1754. W. Ray Rogers also listed that they lived in New Hanover, Duplin Co. NC and their children were :
1. THOMAS ROGERS ; b. ? d. 1782 lived in Duplin Co. NC and married an ELIZABETH
2. JOB ROGERS
3. JAMES ROGERS b. ? d. 1794 Duplin Co. NC
4. PELEG ROGERS b. 1747 ; d. 1811 : moved to Georgia
5. BENJAMIN ROGERS who md. SARAH HIGHSMITH ( no dates on either but Benjamin is listed by W. Ray Rogers as a SPECULATOR which I think meant LAND SPECULATOR ).
W. Ray Rogers listed Benjamin Rogers and Sarah Highsmith with son REUBEN ROGERS who md. CHRISTIAN ALDERMAN.
Another note by W. Ray Rogers on this genealogy says that "ISABELL BRAND had a brother named BENJAMIN BRAND. AFTER BENJAMIN ROGERS died his family settled near other descendants of Peleg Rogers "( meaning Duplin Co. NC ).
So possibly that is why some are now listing that BENJAMIN ROGERS wife SARAH HIGHTOWER died in DUPLIN CO. NC ?
I haven't a clue if this is verified data but W. Ray Rogers had been considered to be one of the first to research the RHODE ISLAND ROGERS in STANLY and DUPLIN CO's NC. W. Ray Rogers direct line were cousins of those in Duplin Co. NC but W. Ray Rogers line lived in Wake Co. NC and moved to ANSON CO. NC from Wake. I believe it was a THOMAS and JOB ROGERS who first moved to ANSON CO. NC from WAKE and as you see they too had same naming patterns as those in the PELEG ROGERS and ISABELL BRAND ROGERS family. So don't be confused as you will also find another PELEG ROGERS who md. an ELIZABETH ALLEN and lived and died in WAKE CO. NC as well. But basically they are considered by most good researchers to be all the same ROGERS of RHODE ISLAND who came down into NC and split up and went into different counties.
Hope this helps, but it may confuse you more than help unless you look at the Duplin Co. NC Court records to verify some of this.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|