I was fortunate to locate "Roane of King William County" (Richmond, 1950), compiled by Elizabeth Hawes Ryland. The typewritten original is filed in archives of the Virginia Historical Association. We owe her a great debt of gratitude for her extensive research on the Roane family. This paper answers many of the questions that several of us have been asking about the Roane family in King William Co., VA.
She starts her paper with a reference to the article in 18 William & Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine (First Series) which lays out some of the early history of the Roane family in Virginia. I will confine my remarks to the King William branch of the family. She states that William Roane married Sarah Upshaw and had:
1. Thomas Roane (b. circa 1732) of King & Queen Co., m. Mary Ann Hipkins
2. William Roane of Essex Co., m. Judith Ball
3. John Roane (born 12 Jul 1736, died 31 Oct 1805) of King William Co., m. 1758, Susannah Jones.
4. Mary Roane, m. Archibald Ritchie
5. Sarah Roane, m. John Brockenbrough, M.D.
6. Lucy Roane, m. (1) Richard Barnes, and (2) Moore F. Brockenbrough.
This post is concerned with 3. John Roane (1736-1805) who married Susannah Jones. This is the John Roane who moved to King William Co. and lived at his home on the Mattapony River known as "Uppowac" (pronounced UPPOWAW, which is the Indian word for tobacco). This John Roane is sometimes described as "the old orginial" to distinguish him from his son named John who followed him. John Roane and his wife, Susanna Jones, had the following children:
7. William Roane (b. 5 Nov 1759, d. 9 Oct 1765)
8. Mary Roane (b. 3 Nov 1761, m. 16 Mar 1782 James Ruffin, d. Nov 1807)
9. Susanna Roane (b. 25 Jan 1764, d. 25 Jun 1768)
10. John Roane (b. 9 Feb 1766, d. 15 Nov 1838)
11. Lucy Roane (19 Oct 1768, d. 25 Sep 1772)
John Roane (1736-1805) married, secondly, 5 Jan 1774, Martha Taylor (d. 11 Mar 1800), by whom he had no children.
We continue the King William line of the Roane family with 10. John Roane (1766-1838), sometimes called "John Roane, Jr." to distinguish him from his father, John Roane (1736-1805). John Roane, Jr. (1766-1838) was a member of Congress from Virginia for several terms. He married Jan 1789, Elizabeth Fauntleroy Brockenbrough (d. 2 Sep 1813), daughter of Newman Brockenbrough and Lucy Daingerfield (daughter of William Daingerfield and Apphia Fauntleroy). John Roane (1766-1838) and Elizabeth Fauntleroy Brockenbrough had the following children:
12. Elizabeth B. Roane (b. Aug 1792, m. 15 Oct 1808 Robert Ruffin, d. 26 Feb 1810)
13. John Roane (b. Nov 1794). This is the "John Jones Roane" who served one term in Congress.
14. Newman B. Roane (b. 4 Mar 1797)
15. William Roane (b. Nov 1798)
16. Susanna Jones Roane (b. 7 Apr 1802, m. circa 1820 Edward Pollard)
17. Samuel Roane, M.D. (b. 2 Jun 1807)
18. James Madison Roane (b. 8 Feb 1810)
Ms. Ryland's paper states that there may have been two children older than 12. Elizabeth B. Roane who died in infancy. She states that there also may have been another son, Fayette Roane, whose name appears in King William Co. deeds.
My line ties into this family at 17. Samuel Roane, M.D. I would be happy to work with anyone who is interested in this family.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|