Perhaps this can be of use to some members of this branch of the Powers line. I would love to hear any new information regarding any of this line not mentioned here.
1. Walter Powers was born ~ 1639 in Waterford, Ireland or perhaps Essex, England. He married Trial Shepard March 11, 1660/61 in Malden, MA, daughter of Ralph Shepherd and Thankes Lord. She was born December 19, 1641 in Weymouth, MA, and died February 22, 1708 in Weymouth, MA.
In the 1600's there was a famine in Ireland and thousands were starving to death. Immigrants to America found there was cheap labor to begot in Ireland, and by agreement with the courts, local judges would order the collection of juveniles, who were taken from the streets or their homes, where they would be made "indentured servants" by order of the court. They would be taken to the "New World" by their “sponsors”, and made to work for their sponsor for a period of 6 years to pay for their and fare to and care in the "New World" There is evidence to show that Walter was one of these children, that immigrated to America in 1654, and that he never saw his family again. He was a witness in a trial in 1654 in Worcester Co, MA, and gave his age as 14. Walter married shortly after completing his service and his bride was the daughter of his sponsor, the Deacon Ralph Shepherd. Walter and "Triall his wife" were "convicted of fornication by them committed together before marriage." They were sentenced to be flogged. Trial's dad bought her out of the flogging by paying a fine in lieu of her flogging. Walter was sentenced "to be openly whipt with 15 stripes by the constable of Cambridge”. Walter and Trials' naughtiness appears in the court record for April 2, 1661. Walter ran a sawmill and was one of the original settlers of Concord, what is now Littleton. It is recorded in 1694 that he acquired one quarter of the town of Nashobe, from Thomas Waban and Indian owners of the land. He died February 22, 1708 in Littleton, MA and is buried in Powers Burying Graveyard, Littleton, MA.
Children of Walter Powers and Trial (Shepard):
2. William Powers, b. March 16, 1661.
3. Mary Powers b. 1663.
4. Isaac Powers b. 1665.
5. Thomas Powers (cont.)
6. Daniel Powers, b. May 10, 1669 in Lancaster, Worcester, Ma; died 1730 in Littleton, MA
7. Increase Powers b. July 16, 1671.
8. Walter Powers b. June 28, 1674.
9. Jacob Powers b. December 15, 1679.
10. Sarah Powers b. February 08, 1683.
5. Thomas Powers was born May 25, 1667 in Concord, Middlesex, MA, and moved to Littleton, then to Wellington, to Hardwich, to Quobbin and to Greenwich, in all of which he seems to have owned land and to have been a man of note. He married first Elizabeth in 1691: she died 25 May 1698 in Concord, Middlesex, MA. He m. secondly Mary Harwood 25 Oct. 1702 and died 21 Jan 1733/1734 in Concord, Middlesex, MA.
Children of Thomas Powers and Elizabeth:
11. Joseph (cont.)
12. Elizabeth b. 1696, m. Thomas Farr.
Children of Thomas Powers and Mary Harwood:
13. Phineas b. 8 May 1705 Champlain, NY (gr-grandfather of sculptor Hiram Powers), m. Mrs. Martha Winslow.
14. Ephraim b. 1706, m. June Keesick.
15. James b. 1708, m. Susan Keesick.
16. Jane b. 19 Aug 1709 Concord, MA, m. Benjamin Davis.
17. Jeremiah b. 1710, m. Hannah Fisher.
11. Joseph Powers was born 1 Dec 1692 in Concord, Middlesex, MA and married 16 Mar 1714 in Groton, Middlesex, MA to Hannah Whitcomb, daughter of Jonathan and Mary (Josselyn), b. 29 Aug 1691 Littleton, Middlesex, MA, d. after 1745 Boxboro, Middlesex, MA. He died 18 Dec 1745 in Littleton, Middlesex, MA
Children of Joseph Powers and Hannah (Whitcomb):
18. Joseph b. 10 Jul 1715 Littletown, Middlesex, MA, m. Suzanna.
19. Thomas b. 15 Feb 1717 Littletown, Middlesex, MA, m. Hepzibah Hastings.
20. Nathaniel (cont.)
21. Dinah b. 12 Nov 1722 Littletown, Middlesex, MA, d. 1 Jun 1802 Cummington, Hampshire, MA, m. Joseph Farr.
22. Mary b. 1 Nov 1723 Littletown, Middlesex, MA, m. Simeon Davis.
23. Phineas b. 3 Feb 1725 Boston, Middlesex, MA, d. 7 Jan 1798 Boxborough, Middlesex, MA, m. D. Boxborough.
24. Ephraim b. 14 Sep 1726 Littletown, Middlesex, MA, d. 7 Aug 1727.
25. Ephraim b. 24 May 1728 Littletown, Middlesex, MA, m. Catherine Farr.
26. Hannah b. 6 Jan 1730 Littletown, Middlesex, MA d. 11 Sep 1810, m. Robert Chaffin.
20. Nathaniel Powers was born 15 Jul 1720 in Littletown, Middlesex, MA and married (1) Hannah, m. (2) 4 Apr. 1745 Littletown, Middlesex, MA to Hannah Hartwell, daughter of Jonathan and Hannah (Blanchard). Based on the birthdates and places of his children, Nathaniel resided in Littletown, MA until probably the summer of 1752, at which time the family moved to Brattleborough, VT and lived until probably the summer of 1754, and then moved to Charlestown, NH. In about the summer of 1759 they moved to Springfield, VT. He died 17 Mar 1777 in Charlestown, Cheshire, New Hampshire (Will Probated).
Children of Nathaniel Powers and (1) Hannah:
27. Simeon, Corp., b. 7 Dec 1743 Littleton, Middlesex, MA d. 1820 Ridgefield, Cyng, OH, m. Lydia Dwinnell 9 Aug. 1768 in Springfield, Windsor, VT.
Children of Nathaniel Powers and (2) Hannah (Hartwell):
28. Hannah b. 30 Aug 1747 Littleton, Middlesex, MA.
29. Mary b. 19 Jan 1749 Littleton, Middlesex, MA, m. 176 Elijah Powers.
30. Joseph b. 27 Aug 1750 Littleton, Middlesex, MA, d. 1 Dec 1826 Ferrisburg, Addison, VT, m. (1) Sally Hart, (2) Susan Larabee, (3) Rebecca Stearns 14 May 1790 in Monkton, Addison, VT.
31. Luke E., b. 28 Jan 1752 Littleton, Middlesex, MA.
32. Nathaniel, Corp. (cont.)
33. Whitcomb b. 5 Jan 1756 Charlestown, Cheshire, NH.
34. Hannah b. 4 Jul 1757 Charlestown, Cheshire, NH.
35. Hannah b. 10 Oct 1758 Charlestown, Cheshire, NH.
36. Abner, Corp. b. 15 Dec 1760 Springfield, Underhill, VT, d. 25 Sep 1852 St. Charles, Kane County, IL, m. Sabra Porter 12 Oct 1784 at Fort #4 Charlestown, NH.
37. Thomas b. 1762 Springfield, Underhill, VT, m. Hannah Hoor.
32. Nathaniel Powers, Corp. was born in 1754 at Brattleborough, Windham, CT and married in 1776 Madrid, St. Lawrence, NY to Jerusha Hart b. 1757, daughter of Constant Hart who served in the Revolutionary War with Nathaniel Powers at Ticonderoga. Nathaniel served in the New Hampshire 1st Regiment from Jan 1777 to July 1782. From “Rolls of Soldiers in the Revolutionary War, Vol III, pg 934” at age 28 his height was given as 5’ 9 ¾” tall. He resided in Charlestown, NH from 1778 to 1792 and is listed in the 1790 census there. In 1791 he is listed in Ferrisburg, VT. He bought 30 acres of land in Ferrisburg, VT for 30 dollars on 6 July 1792 and he is listed in the 1796 census in Augusta Township, Grenville, Ontario and in Yonge, Leeds, Ontario in 1802 and 1803. He died shortly before 4 Mar. 1804, in Yonge, Leeds, Ontario. as his probate record was proved on this date. (The information on Nathaniel and his children and some of his grandchildren was taken from a 9 pg. letter written by Ivy Powers Bradford to her niece about the family dated 9 Sept. 1929. I have a copy.)
Children of Nathaniel and Jerusha (Hart):
38. Sarah (Sally) Jane b. 15 Nov 1777 Madrid, St. Lawrence, NY, d. 6 May 1838 Madrid, St. Lawrence, m. Samuel Russell Allen.
39. Simon b. 1781 of Brockville, Ontario.
40. Jerusha b. 1783.
41. Constant Hart b. 1785.
42. Nathaniel Hart b. 25 Feb 1787 Charleston, Cheshire, NH, d. 6 Jun 1862 Orono, Durham Co., Canada,
m. Rebecca La Rue.
43. Phoebe b. 1789.
44. Sophia b. 1791.
45. Susan b. 1793.
46. Thomas Hart (cont.)
47. Samuel Weatherhead b. 1797 Charlestown, NH, d. Vernon Springs, MN, m. Catherine Walpole Doran.
46 Thomas Hart Powers was born 22 Dec 1795 (probably Ferrisburgh, Addison), VT (although the records at Forest Home Cemetery indicate that he was born in Prescott, Canada). He married Feb 22 1817 in Napanee, Ont. to Ruby Fyles, b. 15 Jan 1798 NY, d. 7 Aug 1871 Milwaukee, WI, daughter of Isaac Fyles of Troy, NY. Thomas Hart Powers was a tailor, also an ordained Baptist minister. Thomas died 12 Aug 1881 Milwaukee, WI and was buried 13 Aug 1881 next to Ruby at Forest Home Cemetery, Milwaukee, WI.
Children of Thomas Hart Powers and Ruby (Fyles):
48. Mary Elizabeth, m. Thomas L. Johnson.
49. Matilda Ann was born in 1819 in Canada and died 24 Dec 1893 Minneapolis, MN, m. 22 Mar 1841 Eastern Ontario, Canada to William Henry Gore (G2) b. 1813, Canada, d. 17 Sep 1885 Minneapolis, MN.
50. (Son) b. abt. 1820, died in infancy.
51. William Vallon b. ~ 1821 Durham, Ontario, d. 12 Aug 1870, m. (1) Emaline Polly (2) Mary Ela.
52. Rachel Althea b. 11 Aug 1826 Kingston, Ontario, d. 1 Dec 1900 Milwaukee, WI, m. Josiah Knowlton.
53. Thomas Delmont b. 1827 of Manvers Twsp., Durham, Ontario, m. Helen E. Hicks.
54. Charles Mortimer b. 1828 of Newcastle Twsp., Durham, Ontario, m. Jeanette Gifford; two children: Gorham E. and Mary Ruby Alfretta.
55. Martha Augusta, m. Dr. Lovell Beach Allen.
56. Emily Helen d. age 14.
57. Lucy Ann Eliza b. 1836 NY, d. 1900 Milwaukee, WI, m. Joseph Drury Coolidge.
58. Jay Woodard b. 6 May 1838 NY, d. 1910 m. (1) Eva E. Veeder; one son and four daughters: Nelson Fernando M., Lilly Aurora, Dr. Violet S., Ivy Blanche m. Theron Draper Bradford; one son: Leland Powers, and Myrtle Evangeline m. Robert E. Lee Jessee. (2) Emma Knieff; several children all died young, save one: Chester Arthur, teacher, lived in S.F. CA 1929-1933, d. 27 Aug 1997 San Diego, CA, m. Gladys Watkins.
59. Albert Wallace b. ~ 1842, d. 14 Aug 1896 WI, m. (1) Mrs. Hulda Hayes; m. (2) Frances Hurlburt.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|