Pellow Family Genealogy Forum
I am getting more and more involved in tracking down Pellows in Cornwall (the south west tip of England). It's a well-known name there, but hardly known elsewhere in the UK. I have books and trees which take the Pellows back to about 1300 there - the problem is, as ever, managing to join me (or more accurately, my husband and children) to the rest of the broad tree. I would guess that any American or Canadian Pellows (and variants) came from Cornwall originally. There is some argument that there were Pellows in Brittany, France, and that they crossed the channel to Cornwall to start the whole lot off, but this is probably an academic argument which can never be proven to everyone's satisfaction.
What I am reasonably confident about is that the name was spelt as the owner preferred, with brothers or father and son opting often for a variant spelling. Since my husband and his family have always had the ow ending, that's what we will stick with - but these are the days of registration of names everywhere, and good spelling being a desirable asset...
I can be reached at S.J.Pellow@reading.ac.uk if anyone wants to get in touch.
- Re: Pellows, Pellowes, Pellews.... Gail Ford 7/21/01
- Re: Pellows, Pellowes, Pellews.... Jane Merry 4/29/01
- Re: Pellows, Pellowes, Pellews.... Bob Pellow 11/05/00
- Re: Pellows, Pellowes, Pellews.... Tom Pellow 8/19/00
- Re: Pellows, Pellowes, Pellews.... Andy Pellow 2/28/99
- Re: Pellows, Pellowes, Pellews.... Judi Best 11/21/98