From an article "Old Timer of the Week" written by Helen Hedgepath for the Healdton Herald and Wilson Post-Democrat in Carter County, Oklahoma:
February 21, 1980
ANNIE Has Good Early Day Story
Our old timer this week is truly one of the saints of the First Baptist Church in Healdton. Her life and her years of service in the Lord’s work will attest to that fact. She is loved by all who know of her. This week we honor ANNIE PEACOCK MOORE as our Old Timer of the week.
Annie was born November 16, 1902 near Trousdale, Oklahoma in Pottawatomie County. Her parents were BEN and SUZIE NOBLES PEACOCK. Both the Peacock and Nobles families had filed on land when Indian Territory was first opened to settlement. They lived on adjoining farms in Pottawatomie County. When Annie was four years old, her family moved by covered wagon to Cimarron County, the most western county in the Oklahoma Panhandle. To file on land and obtain legal ownership, they were required to improve the land, build a house and make it their home for five years. She told of the house they built, really a half dug-out. They had one large underground room, the roof set atop rafters in the ceiling, sealed above the rafters where the children slept. She recalled vividly their heating with cow chips along with coal hauled from Texoma.
They lived 27 miles from the present town of Texoma. She had an uncle, TOM NOBLES, who lived nearby. She attended her first school near Vern. The school was 1 ½ miles from their home. The children walked to school. She told how of her two cousins, she and her two sisters walked home from school in a snow storm.
The snow had built up large drifts over clumps of tumbleweeds. The five all held hands as they walked, so if one fell in a soft spot in the tumbleweeds, they could be pulled out. It also kept them from getting lost from one another.
Her father farmed and they raised a big garden. They hauled water in barrels from a neighbor’s windmill and kept the water in a cistern.
She remembers fighting fires with a wet gunny-sack. They would keep the sack wet by dipping it in a barrel of water they had on a wagon. They lived on the land for the required five years. The family then moved to an alfalfa farm near the Cimarron River and nearer to Texoma. They had a spring of water on the land. They lived four miles from the school but the children had a pony and a buggy they rode to school. They lived on this farm about two years and in 1914, her parents decided to move back to central Oklahoma.
They made the trip to Amarillo by covered wagon. She recalled spending the night in a wagon yard with a large bunk house with shelf type bunks against the wall. They had their own bedding. Her father went to the store and brought back some bologna and crackers for supper. This was a real treat for them. Her father sold the wagon and team and they boarded the train and returned to Trousdale, Oklahoma. Her father farmed for two more years and then in 1916 came to the Wirt oil fields to work.
His first job was with Magnolia Oil Co. He found a place for his family and they moved into a house across the section line southwest from the old Magnolia Camp. The children attended school at Dundee.
The Peacocks had six children: STELLA PEACOCK in Dallas; ANNIE; LICCIE LUMPKIN at Denison,
Texas; LOUISA PEACOCK and MAUDIE MCKINNEY of Dallas and a brother, ERCIE PEACOCK living at Omaha, Nebraska.
Asked about some of the early day families they knew. She said they knew the JESS MCCLANAHANS, EARL and MARY FROST, ANNA HAWKINS and Mrs. MARTY. Her parents later moved to Healdton. They lived on the SMALLEY lease about where HAFFORD and LOIS STEPHENS live now.
In 1920, she attended a business college at Ardmore where she lived during this time. It was while she lived in Ardmore and attending the First Baptist Church that she became a Christian. While she was in Ardmore, the First Baptist church in Healdton moved from the old round church on Main Street to the present location. LEON JULIAS was pastor at this time. She finished the business college and returned to work in the postoffice at Healdton. AMZON GREENWOOD was post master.
In October 1923at a tent revival at the corner of 4th and Texas, just north of the present Baptist Church, she met JAMES ARTO MOORE, a young man who would later become her husband. He was saved during the revival. They started going together and were married June 7, 1923 in the First Baptist church parsonage with THOMAS SAXTON performing the ceremony.
ARTO’S parents were THOMAS J. and MARY CANDICE MOORE, who lived around Healdton for many years. Soon after their marriage, they moved into a house he owned in the north part of town, across from where WILMA GOSSVENER now lives. He went to work for the Empire Oil and Gas Co., worked from 1923 to 1929. In 1929 he started his career with the Shell Oil Co. where he worked until his death in 1954.
His first years with Shell were during the Depression. She said he was the only one on either side of their families who had a regular job. Families had to help each other. At this time, they lived in a house near the Twin States Lease. He was transferred to Meeker in 1940 and they lived there until moving back to Healdton in 1952.
Annie Moore has three children, MARJORIE who married HARRY MORATTO and living at Wichita, Kansas; DOLORES who married HERBERT DOTY and living at Moore; and LEROY MOORE living at Garland, Texas.
The Morattos have both served as Southern Baptist missionaries. He is presently working with the Home Mission Board. They have four children: DANNY, BEVERLY, MICHAEL of Wichita and LYNN attending O.B.U. The Dotys have two children, RUSSELL at St. Louis, MO, and CYNTHIA in New Jersey. Leroy has one daughter TAMI at Garland. Annie’s daughter DOLORES and son LEROY have both served in the Air Force.
Annie told that as a child, she had several serious illnesses, diphtheria at age four, pneumonia at age seven and typhoid fever at age 15. As she became older, she has had back trouble, but other than that, she had good health through the years. In 1975 she began having heart trouble and had a pacemaker implanted.
Annie has had a busy, useful life. After she lost her husband in 1954, she began keeping the nursery at the Wirt Baptist Church, then in 1959, the nursery at the First Baptist in Healdton which she kept until 1978. She has also been in chare of the Extension Club of the First Baptist for many years, still making visits to shut-ins.
During these years she did baby-sitting for many families in town. She kept DON and MAURINE MORRISON’S two girls for nine years and JOE and PATSY DAVIS’ two children for 14 years. She enjoys crocheting and has many beautiful afghans in her home. She does ceramics at Senior Citizen Center. She is a person who doesn’t believe in idle hands.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|