On the farm lately owned by Lewis A. Lukens, near Wissahickon, is an old burying-ground that deserves notice. It was used for this purpose in 1722 and most probably earlier. Samuel Farmar, a son of Edward, conveyed, by a deed dated September 2, 1746, half an acre of ground to HENRY BARTLESON, Peter Knight, and James Stroud, for the purpose of a burying-ground and place of worship, for the consideration of five pounds Pennsylvania currency. Peter Knight, as the last surviving trustee, continued the tract, August 2, 1786, to George Hocker, Nicholas Kline, Patrick Menan, PETER BARTLESON and BARTLE BARTLESON, for the object contemplated. For its better preservation and care the whole was enclosed in a wall which was greatly dilapidated. The earliest tombstone here containing an inscription is that of John Nichols Knight, who died December 29, 1729, aged forty years and ten months. It is of some size, deeply paneled, with antique looking letters, which, for that early day, must have cost some labor as well as expense. Isaac Knight and Isaac Knight Jr., who were land-holders in Abington in 1734, may have been relatives. A stone is inscribed to the memory of ELIZABETH BARTLESON, who died MARCH 24, 1769, aged sixty, and another to BARTLE BARTLESON, deceased FEBRUARY 17, 1777, aged eighty years.
HISTORY OF MONTGOMERY COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, ILLUSTRATED, 1884
EDITED BY THEODORE W. BEAN. PHILADELPHIA; EVERTS & PECK, 1884
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|