Not my family line, just sharing.
The following Biographical sketch was copied from the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI, INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers. 1883.
page 226, City of Monticello, White County, Indiana.
"LOUGHRY FAMILY.- Among those who have become very actively engaged in the manufacturing interests of Monticello during the past few years, are members of the family whose name forms the subject of this sketch. N. B. LOUGHRY, father of the brothers who so successfully operate the Monticello Mills, is a native of Indiana County, Pennsylvania, as were also his parents, JOSEPH and SARAH N. (HOWARD) LOUGHRY; but his grandfather, WILLIAM LOUGHRY, was born in Northern Ireland, and, in about 1780, emigrated to the United States and settled in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, then a part of Westmoreland County. JOSEPH LOUGHRY made farming and merchandising his principal occupation through life, but by an election on the Anti-Masonic ticket to the office of County Sheriff in his native county, served in that capacity three years.
N. B. LOUGHRY was born February 13, 1815, and is the only issue of his parents marriage. At the age of twelve years, he moved with his parents to Blairsville, where he received the greater part of his education, and at the age of fourteen years was sent alone to Philadelphia to purchase a stock of goods, which he did, displaying rare business qualities in one so young. November 13, 1838, he married Miss RACHEL WRIGHT, who was born in what is now Juniata County, Pennsylvania, July 21, 1816, and to them have been born a family of six children - SARAH L. (deceased), JOSEPH E., CLARA (Mrs. Rev. EDWARDS), ALBERT W., AMY, and CLOID. Succeeding his marriage for a number of years, Mr. LOUGHRY was engaged in merchandising, at the same time taking an active part in all public matters, especially politics. He cast his first vote with the Whig party in 1836, but on the organization of the Republican party joined its ranks, and has since been identified as one of its members. While a resident of Blairsville, he was elected to the office of County Prothonotary, and served in that position three years. In 1855, he and family emigrated to La Fayette, Tippecanoe County, Indiana and from there moved to White County, Indiana, four years later. The family resided in Monon Township until 1872, engaged in different pursuits, then removed to Monticello and engaged in milling, having traded their farm as part payment on the Monticello Mills. The mill at that time only had a capacity of about seventy-five barrels per day, and needed many improvements to make it first class. Being strangers in the place, without credit, and with a heavy debt overshadowing their efforts, the LOUGHRYS began work under adverse circumstances. By their united efforts, the father managing the financial part, together with the practical experience of J. E. LOUGHRY as a miller, and the invaluable assistance of the other two sons, A. W. and CLOID, they have produced a wonderful change. The mill is a three-story and basement frame structure, 40X60 feet, is operated by water-power, runs both night and day, and gives employment to thirteen hands, including three experienced millers, and is what is known as a "mixed mill," operating both stone and rolls. It is one of the best improvements known to the business, and has a capacity of 150 barrels per day. They convert into flour about 125,000 bushels of wheat per annum, and besides supplying home demand with their product, which is not excelled in quality by any mill in the State, they ship large quantities to Great Britain. Their head miller, FRANK P. BERKEY, began work shortly after they obtained possession, and by honesty and a faithful performance of his duties has advanced step by step to his present position, which he fills with entire satisfaction. In addition to their milling interests, the LOUGHRYs own and operate a furniture factory directly opposite their mill, and also a furniture store up town. For the past ten years, these gentlemen have done far the largest business of any firm in either White or Pulaski County, and to their enterprise and sagacity the town of Monticello is largely indebted for the greater part of her manufacturing interests. N. B. LOUGHRY and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
J. E. LOUGHRY, the eldest son, was born in Saltsburg, Indiana County, Pennsylvania, September 4, 1842, and has always resided in the same locality with his parents. He received a good practical education in youth, and while residing in La Fayette attended the high school of that city. August 11, 1862, he enlisted in Company D Twelfth Indiana Volunteers, but instead of going with the regiment to the front, was detailed on recruiting duty. He thus happily escaped being made prisoner, which disaster overtook his company at the battle of Richmond, Kentucky. In November, 1862, after the parole and exchange of the prisoners, Mr. LOUGHRY and the company of which he was a member, were sent to Memphis, Tenn.; it remained there that winter, doing guard duty, etc., and in June, 1863, it was ordered to assist the troops under Gen. GRANT in the immediate vicinity of Vicksburg. On the evening of July 4, after the city was surrendered, the troops made a forced march to Jackson, and after the reduction of that city returned and wintered near Vicksburg. Mr. LOUGHRY participated in the battle of Mission Ridge next, and here he was wounded in the right leg, but not sufficiently severe to keep him from active duty. After this engagement, they were ordered to BURNSIDE's relief at Knoxville, followed by Mr. LOUGHRY's participation in the Atlanta campaign, including every important battle. At the battle of Atlanta, he was a member of the body of troops which repelled the charge in which gallant McPHERSON was killed. The memorable march to the sea was the succeeding movement, and the Twelfth Regiment was the first to enter Columbia, South Carolina. From Columbia they went to Richmond via Raleigh, and from there to Washington, D.C., where the Twelfth Indiana Volunteers headed the grand review of the Army of the West. Mr. LOUGHRY was discharged June 9, 1865, and from the time of his enlistment to his discharge never lost a day from service, never missed a campaign or battle in which his regiment was engaged. After the war, he took a thorough course in Bryant & Stratton's Business Collge at Indianapolis, after which he was engaged in milling in Monon and Attica, Indiana, until he came to Monticello. He is a Mason and Republican. In 1873, he married Miss NANCY TURNER, and a family of three children has been born to their union - LOUISA T., MABEL, and WILLIAM N.
A. W. LOUGHRY was born in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, June 9, 1847; came with his parents to Indiana; received the ordinary education in his earlier years, and, by his intimate connection with the mill, is among its best workers. May 3, 1881, he married Miss SALLY KENDALL, daughter of CHARLES W. KENDALL, deceased, and their union is blessed with one son - HOWARD. A. W. LOUGHRY is a Republican and a member of both Masonic and K. of P. fraternities, and Mrs. LOUGHRY is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|