The area that is now Greene Co. was originally part of Augusta County, Va. On Dec. 6, 1775, Virginia subdivided Augusta County to create the District of West Augusta. Then on 8 November 1776 the West Augusta District was divided into the three counties of Ohio, Yohogania and Monongalia. Most of what is now Greene was in Monongalia, and the western 1/4 was in Ohio.
On 28 March 1781 Washington County was organized and Virginia ceded the lands to Pa. Whatever documents of West Augusta District that have survived are kept in the West Virginia and Regional History Collection at the West Virginia University in Morgantown.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|