The first Methodist organization of which there is any record is 1791. This congregation was at a place called Laverings, at the base of Sideling Hill, midway between the turnpike and Warfordsburg. There were several families of Methodists in Wells Valley as early as 1790. In 1800 a regular class was organized, which held services in private homes until 1818, when a log cabin was. erected near where the Valley Methodist now stands. This was torn down in 1828 when under the leadership of Joseph Woodcock a more serviceable building was erected. At Hustontown the first Methodist church was built, near the southeast corner of the present cemetery. It was named Hartman Chapel, the same as present structure, the first minister being Daniel Hartman. Mr. Hartman was one of the early circuit riders, so-called from the fact that they rode horseback on their rounds, their circuit being about the same as the McConnellsburg and Hustontown circuit. At the close of his life, Mr. Hartman was brought back and buried at the scene of his early 1abors. Bishop Asbury, the first American bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, who had received his appointment from John Wesley, preached one sermon at Fort Lyttleton in 1810. At present (1936) there are about a dozen small Methodist Churches located in various parts of the County, usually three or four supplied by one minister.