I am doing research on my wife's Kirby ancestry.
Last year a fellow family researcher found an interesting marriage notice in the "Altoona Tribune" dated 12 November 1861. It said that Mollie E. Kirby (my wife's GGG Aunt) married Dr. G.W. Stewart of New Washington borough (in Clearfield Co., Pennsylvania, right near the border to Indiana Co.). The marriage took place in Williamsburg, PA, with the minister being Mollie's brother, Rev. Edmund W. Kirby (my wife's GGGF).
Interestingly, there is an unproven family anecdote that says this Stewart was related to Jimmy Stewart the actor. This is certainly plausible because of the location of New Washington Township with respect to Indiana County. (It would not surprise me if most of the Stewart's in Indiana County and nearby counties in the early- to mid-1800's were all related, and of which Jimmy Stewart is related.)
A couple more interesting factoids that bear mentioning:
1) There is a "George W. Stewart, MD" buried at the New Washington Cemetery. The date of death is listed as 12-Aug-1862, 36 years old. It is possible (bordering on probable) this is the same "G.W. Stewart" mentioned in the marriage notice, but of course not yet proven.
2) On July 11, 1860, Rev. Edmund Kirby had a son, named "George Stewart Kirby" (my wife's GGF), born in New Washington borough while Edmund served there (Methodist Episcopal). So again it is plausible, but not yet proven, that Edmund Kirby met this Dr. G.W. Stewart in New Washington borough and became close friends (and later introduced him, and married him, to his sister Mollie), even naming his son after him. It is very interesting that when Rev. Kirby left the ministry in 1872, he became a physician, as did three of his sons, including George Stewart Kirby (he was a well-regarded physician in Mauch Chunk, PA, dying in 1936.) Also, the Stewart name has been used several times as both first and middle names among the descendents of George Stewart Kirby.
Anyway, I would like to know:
1) If this "Dr. G.W. Stewart", who married Mollie Kirby, is related to Jimmy Stewart's family in Indiana Co. -- and if so, how.
2) If this "Dr. G.W. Stewart" is the "George W. Stewart, MD" buried in the New Washington borough cemetery (died 12-Aug-1862) and how he died.
3) What happened to Mollie E. Kirby? (Did she have a child with Dr. Stewart?) I'd like to track where Mollie went, and her descendents, if any.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|