I have been in touch with the Potter County Historical Society. They so generously went thru the town records and found nothing on William. This is why I am wondering if, in his old age, he was living with family at the time of his death. William had a large family, but as of yet, I am unable to find most of them. In 1880, they are found in Wharton Township, Potter Co., but only with their child Charles, who was 18 at that time. There should have been two younger siblings, and I have to wonder if they may have died young. Aaron would have only been 13, and M.Rosbeth 11.
The Cameron County Historical Society found a wonderful article on William's son George. It is a paragraph in a book they have. "George W. Nickerson was born Nobember 6 1862 and died October 24, 1912. He arrived to our area from the state of Maine. He married Cecilia V. Lewis, daughter of Jasper Lewis and Lydia Ann Gower Lewis....." It goes on to list their children, and their families. In the Coroner's Inquisition Book G 1910-1917 page 181 states that the cause of death was "train". Located at Cameron County PA. In an email from Mike at Austin Dam Memorial Association, who did a lookup in the inquisition book, book states Hit by engine #9. There were no witnesses.
Long story short,,I have the following information on William's children (all born in Maine):
1) Charles Wesley b. 1840 d. 1908 Maine (My g-grandfather)
2) Henry S. b. 1843 d. 1916 Maine
3) James Warren b. 1846 d. ?? m. Hannah Darrah of Lamar PA
4) Anna Rebecca b. 1851 d. ?? m. Charles Morton of ME (may
have followed father to PA aft 1873)
5) Abigail b. 1858 d. ?? (Went to PA with family)
6) Thomas B. b. 1848 d. 1850 ME
7) Shaber b. 1850 d. 1850 ME
8) Mary Elizabeth b. 1854 d. ?? (Went to PA with family)
9) Eliza b. 1859 d. ?? m. Francis J. Lewis who d. 21 Oct
1929 Rich Valley, Shippen, Cameron Co., PA)
10) George b. 1862 d. 1912 Shippen, Cameron Co., PA
11) Aaron b. 1867 d. ?? (Went to PA with family)
12) M.Rosbeth b. 1869 d. ?? (Went to PA with family)
This is all the information I have on the children of William Nickerson. Am hoping for find William. It took me almost 20 yrs to find out where William and his family went, as they were never heard from again after leaving Maine. My grandfather told me he thought they may have gone to Pennsylvania from stories he had heard, and he was right. Would really love to find the rest of the family.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate any help I can get.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|