Cemeteries in New Brighton:
1. St. Joseph Cemetery.
2. Grove Cemetery.
3. Friends Cemetery.
4. First Presbyterian Cemetery (or Penn Ave. Burial Ground).
5. Steinfeld Cemetery.
6. Big Beaver Blockhouse Cemetery.
Grove cemetery actually sits partially in Daugherty Twp. & Pulaski Twp., & Steinfeld sits in Pulaski Twp., but there all very close to New Brighton.
Friends Cemetery no longer exists. There was a Quaker church and cemetery located where the Standard Horse Nail building currently sits.
First Presbyterian Cemetery no longer exists either. It sat at the intersection of 14th St. and Penn Ave., between Penn Ave. and Blockhouse Run. There are houses built there now. The burials from First Presb. cemetery were reinterred into Grove Cemetery in 1885, the burials from Friends cemetery were reinterred into Grove cemetery in 1888. There is a common gravestone in Grove that represents the reinterments from both cemeteries.
Big Beaver Blockhouse cemetery no longer exists. It sat close to the area of 3rd Ave., between 14th & 15th Sts. Soldiers who died while at the blockhouse would've been buried in this cemetery. This would've been in the 1790's.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|