Not my family line, just sharing.
The following Biographical sketch was copied from the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI, INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers. 1883.
page 704, Indian Creek Township, Pulaski County, Indiana.
"George W. Clouse was born in Richland County, Ohio, August 18, 1835, and is the eldest of the nine children born to John and Sarah (Friend) Clouse, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German descent. John Clouse was both a carpenter and a shoemaker, and followed either one or the other of these trades all his life. In 1832, he moved to Richland County, Ohio, where he was married. In about 1845, he moved to Union County, same State, where Mrs. Clouse died, in January, 1852, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Soon after this event, Mr. Clouse moved to Van Wert County; thence in 1854, he moved to Sullivan County, Indiana, where his death occurred April 15, a few days after his arrival. George w. Clouse learned shoemaking from his father, and also learned coopering, and followed one or the other of these from the time he was eighteen until twenty-four years old. He then worked on a farm for two yeras; then, in the spring of 1862, he went overland to Nevada and California, where he was engaged in mining and teaming until November, 1867, when he bought a ranch in Los Angeles County, California, and farmed until January, 1871, when he sold out, and the following spring returned to Indiana. In August following, he bought his present farm of 160 acres in this township, to which he has since added eighty acres. He was married, December 21, 1871, to Mary M. Good, a native of this township, and daughter of Jonas and Polly (Shellhart) Good, and to this union have been born seven children. Mr. Clouse is a Greenbacker, and he and wife are members of the German Reformed Church."
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|