States: Ohio: Morrow
Here is what you want.MILTON LAVERING, farmer; P. O. Levering ; lives on the old homestead purchased by his father in 1810, and he still holds the original land-warrant, signed by James Madison, who was then President. He is the youngest son of William and Ruth (Brison) Lavering, born Feb. 16, 1821, on his present farm. His father in company with the Rev. John Cook and John Ackerman came on horseback to this township from Bedford Co., in 1810; he entered 160 acres of land here, and, soon after, by his brother, 160 acres more in Congress Tp. They all soon returned to Pennsylvania; he, made a second visit to this State and remained five months, and made a small clearing, returning to Pennsylvania; he this time loaded the four horse wagon with his family and household goods, reaching his destination in Nov. 1816; he moved into a cabin which his nephews had prepared for the family; there were nine children in the family, seven sons and two daughters-Archi bald, Allen, Morgan, Morris, Nelson, David, Nancy, Milton and Polly. Archibald and Allen died when young. William Lavering was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and departed this life Sept. 14, 1864. Milton Lavering has been a tiller of the soil all his life; he began with $92 at the age of 21, and in 1864 he purchased the home place consisting of 160 acres of land, lying on the north branch of Owl Creek, with about fifty, acres of fine bottom land. He married Mary Rinehart, April 24, 1860. She is a daughter of Jacob and Lydia Rinehart. In her father's family there were nine children-Ellen, Caroline, Charles, Elizabeth, Mary and Jacob-three who died in youth, Lydia, Anna and an infant; they were natives of Pennsylvania, and came here in an early day. Mr. Lavering and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at Waterford. He raised the first crop of flax for the seed ever sown in the vicinity. This was in 1845, and sold at eighty-seven and a half cents per bushel. In early days his father made trips to the lake with a barrel of maple sugar on the hind wheels of the wagon. They have a family of two children, Adda M. and Zantha R., the two eldest-Morgan and Walter B. are dead. The old brick residence was built about 1823, and is perhaps the oldest brick house in the township.
Notify Administrator about this message?