Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Regional: U.S. States: Ohio: Cuyahoga County

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Paul Cagot Cleveland Ohio friend of Angelo Furne Columbus Ohio 1927
Posted by: virginia porter (ID *****9035) Date: April 04, 2003 at 02:02:03
  of 2633

June 07,1928
Charlene, Angelo , Paul Cagot, and an unknown women take a wild ride in Angelo's chrysler roadster. After a series of events, Angelo is chased by police shot and killed.
Transcribed from newspapers:
Columbus Citizen 06-08-1927 pages 1&2...
Where Wild Ride Had Anticlimax

A wild ride in the night had an anticlimax for Angelo Furne, 545 Bonham Ave, at 2 A.M. Wednesday when he drashed into a confectionery, and a climax when he was shot and killed by policemen as he fled from the scene of the accident.
The above pictures ( see store, policemen and Angelo sketch) tell the story. Above, left, is seen the store of E. M. Davis, 133 W. Fifthe Av, Badly wrecked by Furne's machine. Below are shown two automobiles struck by Furne before his machine catapaulted into the store. right, above are shown Policemen Nesser adn Knight who did the shooting. Below, at the left, is a sketchof Furne.

Nesser and Companion Officer Quizzed By Acting Chief and County Prosecutoer --Victim Slain as He Runs From Accident.

County and city authorities joined forces in an investigation into the killing by police officers of an autoist as he fled from the scene of an accident early Wednesday.
Angelo Furne, also known as Furnaletto, 26, 545 Bonham Av, was shot and killed at 2 A.M. at Dennison and Greenwood Avenues while being pursued by Police Corporal Nesser and Policeman Knight.
Both Nesser and Knight fired at Furne, but which one hit him has not been determined,, altho Knight claims he shot into the air. Each fired two shots.
A postmortem examination of Furne by Coroner Murphy is Expected to reveal which of the officers hit Furne. One of them carried a .38 caliber revolver while the other's was .45 caliber.
Police Inspector Dyer, acting chief and County Prosecutor Chester grilled the officers Wednesday to ascertain why they did the shooting. Chester said he would have no statement to make at this time.
Nesser, in a statement to the Citizen declared he shot because he thought Furne had a revolver.

" There has been promiscuous shooting in that neighborhood. " he said " and we have had a great deal of trouble with persons using guns.
" I fired my two shots, one as Furne stood by a fence after we had chased him east on Fifthe Ave and then south on Dennison and east on Greenwood to opposite the rear of the Everett Junior High School. I had fired the other previously when we ran down Fifth Ave.
" He stood with his hands in front of him, and I thought he had a gun. "
Pliceman Knight declared that he fired both of his shots into the air and did not aim at the fugitive.
" As we ran, I fired once on Fifth Ave and once on Dennison. " he said." We both yelled for Furne to halt several times, threatening to shoot. "
Furne, who sometimes went by the name of Furnaletto, was struck in the right shoulder by the bullet which then passed thru his jugular vein. He was taken to White Cross Hospital where he was pronounced dead. The body was taken to the Egan undertaking establishment.
According to police, the shot which killed Furne brought an end to a day of reckless, wild automobile driving, during which at least one accident occurred.

Mrs Charleen Furne, 19, widow of the man shot, and Paul Cogat, Cleveland, were arrested in connection with the shooting and held for investigation. Mrs. Furne, who is nursing an injured leg suffered in an automobile accident in which she and her husband figured, was not told that her husband was dead.
Corporal Nesser, Policeman Knight, and Danner were investigating a complaint in W. Sixth Ave at 2 A. M. Wednesday, when a Studebaker coupe going north on Highland St turned east on Sixthe Ave. And the driver, apparently seeing the officers and attempting to avoid them, turned the car back, going south on Highland. The officers started after the car.
at 133 W. Fifth Ave a confectionery store operated by E. M. Davis, the studebaker car passed out of the picture. Here the officers found a wrecked Chrysler roadster, half buried in the front of the store building. This car it developed was that of Furne and his party.
Learning that at least one person had been injured in the accident, the officers went to the home of Mrs. Anna Rule, 136 W. Fifth Ave where they were informed the injured persons had been taken.
When the officers approached the door of the house, Furne and Cagot went out the back door and there started the chase which ended in the death of Furne and the capture of Cagot.
Cagot went south on Hunter and was overtaken by Officer Danner, Furne ran east on Fifth Ave and then south on Dennison and east on Greenwood to opposite the rear of the Everett Junior High School on the north side of the street.
It was here that Furne was shot. When Nesser and Knight rounded the corner to the school yard, they say Furne was standing over the fence with both hands in front of him. Each of the officers fired two shots.
According to the police, several other shots were fired during the chase in addition to the four they fired. And they also claim that they heard " someone say something about shooting somebody. "
Two men and two girls were in the Chrysler roadster, which crashed into the Davis Confectionary and they were given first aid at the home of Mrs. Anna Rule.
Mrs. Rule's story of the affair follows: " I was in the front room taking care of the baby, who had been restless, when I heard a crash. I went out front and there saw a Chrysler car half buried in the front of the store across the street.
" Two girls and two men were standing near the car and I went over. One of the girls appeared to be badly hurt about the leg, so I invited them to come over to my house and get washed up.
" I put the girl with th injured leg to bed and wrapped up the wrist of one of the boys.
" The fellows asked me not to report the matter to the police and the girls insisted that I shouldn't turn them in. "
" In the meantime somebody had called the police and they arrived. Several police came to the front door and the boys ran out the back.
" Chased by patrolment the boys split, one going south on Hunter Ave and the ohter east on Fifth Ave. We came out on the porch, the girls and myself and watched the chase in Fifth Ave.
" The fellow being chased seemed to stagger. I heard the officers call: 'Halt of I'll shoot ' several times. Then I saw flashes and heard shots. Then two more. Just before the first shot I heard a voice say, ' Go ahead and shoot.'
" I didn't see the man fall. They were almost out of sight on the lawns quite a ways down the street. "
Police later returned to the Rule home and took Mrs. Furne into custody.
The Studebaker auto which the police were trailing when the wrecked Furne roadster was found, is believed to have had no connection with the accident, altho residents said this same car came to the Rule home later and picked up the second woman.
Police claim that Furne was driving carelessly and recklessly all day Tuesday. He was arrested at 12:15 P. M. by Officers Hulls after a chase in Fifth Ave. Furne was speeding when Huls saw him and "steppeddd on it " when the officer went after him. He was taken to police station at 3 P. M. and at that time had a woman with him, evidently Mrs. Furne.
Furne formerly worked as a molder at the Columbus Malleable Iron Works.

Drastic action by an officer to the extent of full use of his pistol is permissible when the actions of a fugitive are " such as to arouse suspicions."
That is the way County Prosecuter Chester defined use of a pistol by a policman Thursday, after he, with Police Inspector Dyer, had announced that no charges will be brought against Corporal Ray Nesser for shouting and killing Angelo Furne as he fled the scene of an auto accident early Wednesday.
Prosecutor Chester said : " Any ordinary citizen in the lawful pusuit of his business should and must stop on the command of a police officer in full uniform. When his actions are such as to arouse suspicions, police will be justified in taking drastic action in the enforcement of the law. "
The conduct of Furne Wednesday as he fled from Corporal Nesser and Policeman Joseph Knight was " suspicious. " the investigators held.
Other reasons for absolving Nesser, whose .45 caliber bullet was found lodged in the body of Furne by Coroner Murphy are: " Actions fo Furne preceding his killing and desperate attempts to escape: the fact that Furne jerked off his license plates, indicating that the automobile might have been stolen; that other shots were fired in the immediate vicinity by other persons; that Officer Knight stumbled and fell over a curb, leading Nesser to believe that Knight had been shot; that persons at the house where Mrs. Furne was taken had been cautioned not to tell the police they were there. "
Furne's wife, Charleen, 19, and Paul Cagot, 19 , Cleveland were released Wenesday night after they had been thoroly questioned.

Husband Frightened and Ran When Policemen Came, Mrs. Furne Declares -- Denies Knowing Two Suspects arreted Later ----- Nesser exonerated in Killing
" There was no myster about my husband's actions. He was just frightened adn ran when the officers entered the house, " said Mrs Charles Furne, age 19, of 1516 Gleen Avenue, who told late Wednesday her version of the wild auto ride and fatal shooting of her husban, Angelo, age 21, killed early Wednesday morning when he attempted to escape from Police Corporal Ray Nesser after the auto he was riding in had figured in several Collisions in Fifth avenue.
" Angelo did nothing wrong. He was only frightend. Paul (Cagot) came to our home from Cleveland, Tuesday, and the three of us started for a rid Tuesday night. We went downtown and picked up a woman whom none of us knew. Later we had some liquor and were going to the Little Pig barbecue, East Fifth Avenue when the accident occurrd.
" When our car struck the first object I was thrown against the windshield and lost consciousness. I don't remember what happened immediatelay afterward. I guess they carried me into a house ( Mrs. Anna Rule's home, 134 West Fifth avenue) for I only remember when the officers came. A few minutes after Angelo ran I heard shots. "
Both Mrs. Furne and Cagot, who were arrested and taken to city prison where they were questioned and held on an investigation charg, were released late Wednesday afternoon.
The young woman said she met Furne a year ago. When they were married they went to live with her sister at the Gleen avenue address, she said.
Conflicting reports of shooting in the Fifthe avenue district prior to police finding Furne's wrecked auto have not been cleared, but in their efforts to learn the cause of the supposed shooting, police uncovered a clue which resulted in the arrest of two men who are being held at city prison on investigation charges.
From a telephone number found in Cagot's pocket, plice traced a clue to 164 Pennsylvania avenue, where they arrested Thomas Hurst, age 19, and Charles evans, age 19, of 1241 Michigan avenue. They confiscated 50 gallons of liquor, at the Michigan avenue address.
Mrs. Furne, however, says she know neither of the two men. She also denied that her husband had previously been in a fight and stabbed. " Angelo never had a fight as long as I have known him, " she said.
The two men probably will be questioned Thursday.
Corporal Nesser was completely exonerated by acting Chief of Police Dyer following questioning of Mrs. Furne, Cagot and a number of neighbors in the vicinity where the accident occurred.
" No charges can be filed against Nesser because of Furne's actions immediately preceding the shooting, " Dyer said. " Furne's efforts to escape indicated that he had been riding in a stolen car. " Dyer said. " Nesser also commanded the man to stop several times. Other shooting in the vicinity probably tended toward making Nesser think the man one of a gang of desperate men.
" Any ordinary citizen in pursuit of his lawful business need never fear to stop on command of a police officer in full uniform, " John J. Chester, county prosecutor, said in explaination that Nesser could not be held responsible for Furne's death. Funeral arrangements for Furne, which are under the directions of the Eban company, have not been completed: Mrs. Furne said, however, the body probably will be taken to Mt. Sterling, Ohio, for burial.
The widow is the daughter of Daniel Leach, Mr. Sterling, and graduated from the Monroe township high school last year.

Birth Date: 1 Apr 1904
Death Date: Jan 1975
Social Security Number: 377-10-2547
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Michigan

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 44103
Localities: Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio

Notify Administrator about this message?
No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network