Starting Sept. 30, 2014, will be making a big change. GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Regional: U.S. States: Ohio: Belmont County

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Re: Seeking female descendants of Civil War soldiers
Posted by: Keith D. Ashley Date: October 23, 2001 at 20:20:04
In Reply to: Re: Seeking female descendants of Civil War soldiers by Vickie Mullett Franke of 2195

I'm glad you asked! First, any male born 1849 or earlier is a potential Civil War soldier. Men born as earlier as 1805 may have served.

Finding Civil War service varies from place to place. If you have any names for men who might have served from Ohio, W.Va., or Virginia in the Union forces, I can look up the names for you to see what is possible.

If you know where a potential Union soldier (or his widow) lives in 1890, you can go to the 1890 Union veterans' census (not to be confused with the destroyed 1890 popula-
tion census). This will tell you rank, company, regiment, enlistment date, discharge date, and war wounds.

Broadfoot Publishing Company has printed indexes for all states--both Union and Confederate--to assist in determin-
ing a potential soldier.

If your potential Union soldier is buried in Ohio, check with the county recorder's office of the county in which he is buried. Check the Veterans' Burial File to see if he is listed. The accuracy of this survey done in the 1930's varies from county to county in Ohio. My county is excel-
lent, but Hocking and Fairfield Counties are poor.

If you know where you possible soldier lived at the end of the Civil War, he may have recorded his discharge at the county recorder's office in Ohio. About 20% of soldiers did this.

Often you can contact the Adjutant General of any state to see if they list a man as a soldier.

Perhaps this is a little help for you. If I can be of any further help or answer any questions, just contact me. I'm happy to assist.

If you live in Belmont County, Ohio, I would like to recommend that you join the Ladies of the Grand Army there.
It is composed of women with either a direct ancestor or the brother of a direct ancestor who served in the Union forces. I can put you in contact with the president of the unit there.

Keith D. Ashley, Past Commander
Ohio Dept. Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War

No followups yet

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Agreement of Use
Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network