Am researching the family and descendants of Patience RICHMOND (1790-1872), b in Spencertown, Columbia County NY, daughter of Sylvester RICHMOND (1777-1826) and Harriet COVELL/COVILL (1762-1826). Patience
lived in Otsego County from, probably, 1811 until after the 1830 US Census
and shows up in Wolcott, Wayne County, NY from the 1840 through the 1870 US Census. By 1873 she was living in Paygo, Winnebago County, Wisconsin
with her son Peter Sylvester Fink, and she died and was buried there in 1872
or 1873 depending on whether you rely on her tombstone or her Fink Family Bible Record. Details are below.
1. Patience married 1st Earl MARSTON (b 1782 in NY); she married 2d Jeremiah FINK (b ca 1770 in Prussia & d after 1830 US Census in Otsego County NY); she married 3d James PATTEN (1816-1865/70 of Wolcott, Wayne County NY). After the death of her 3d husband, Patience moved with her son Peter Sylvester FINK to Poygan, Winnebago County, Wisconsin, where she died on 19 December 1872. Her tombstone there reads: “Patience, wife of Jeremiah Fink. Dec 13 1873. Aged 82 yrs 7 mos. Sleep on dear mother, and take thy rest. God called thee home, He thought it best.” Patience is buried next to her son Peter Sylvester FINK and his wife Amanda [nee FOX] FINK and a few grandchildren in a very old cemetery--Forest Hill Cemetery in Poygan Wisconsin, that has not been well cared for.
2. Transcription of FINK Family Bible Record pertaining to Patience Ann Fink:
“Bible published - 1848. Given to Grandmother Malloy by her grandparents Patience Anne Fink, Jeremiah Fink, who lived around Albany [NY] in Revolutionary War Time. Copy of family record in Bible.
Age and Time of Birth of Family:
Miss Patience Fink was born May 7, 1790
Clarisse Masten [Marston] was born January 20, 18(09) “last 2 [numerals are] fragmentary”
Sallina [Salinda] Fink was born July 27, 1811
Marilla Fink was born October 27, 1814
Betsey Fink was born May 13, 1817
Jacob Fink was born August 14, 1819
Louvisa Fink was born July 19, 1820
Peter Fink was born July 19, 1824
Jeremiah Fink was born March 10, 1826
Harriet Ann Fink was born January 10, 1828
John Harvey Fink was born March 18, 1831
James Patten was born May 9, 1816 [In the 1860 Census, Patience’s 3d husband, Jas Patten, was age 50, a good fit.]
Phebe Jan Huphery [Humphery?] was born April 22, 1846
This record I found in the Bible grandmother gave you years ago. When you feel in the mood, go to Educational Library and look them up. If anything interesting, write it down.
Your father arrived and had a good time.
Ann hasn’t arrived yet. Lovingly, Mother”
3. The place of birth of Patience Richmond; her family genealogy; and the sequence of her three marriages to:
a. Earl Marston
b. Jeremiah Fink
c. James Patten
are taken from the following publication:
SOURCE: Joshua Bailey Richmond, The Richmond Family, 1594-1896 (Published in Boston MA, 1897) pp. 160, 326. As follows:
“939. SYLVESTER RICHMOND/6th Generation (Edward/5, Benjamin/4, Edward/3, Edward/2, John/1) was born in Spencertown, [Columbia County], N.Y. He married Harriet Covill, who died in Bergen, N.Y., October, 1826.
He removed, about 1790, to Maryland, N.Y., thence to Westford, Otsego County, N.Y., and returned to Bergen about 1810. He, with three of his sons, settled in Ann Arbor, Mich., about 1825, where he died in 1832. He served in the Revolutionary War.
#2468. Morris/7th, born about 1784, married Louisa Winans.
#2469. Patience/7th Gen., born about 1785; married, 1st, Earl Marston; 2d Jeremiah Fink; 3d, Mr. [James] Patten.
#2470. Ethan Allen/7
On p. 326 Richmond adds that after her 3d marriage to Mr. Patten, Patience Richmond Marston Fink Patten lived in Wolcott, Wayne County, N.Y.
CHILDREN BY FIRST MARRIAGE:
#5306. Clara Marston/8th Gen.
#5307. Salinda Marston/8th Gen. [The Patience Fink Family Bible Record lists this child as Sallina FINK]
CHILDREN BY SECOND MARRIAGE:
#5308. Marilla Fink/8th Gen.
#5309. Betsey Fink/8
#5310. Jacob Fink/8
#5311. Lovice Fink/8
#5312. Peter Fink/8
On p 476 the further details of these 8th Generation children jump from #5299 to #5313 and simply are not reported or further enumerated, indicating either an inadvertent omission (printing or typographical error) of the five children of Jeremiah and Patience Fink, or perhaps a simple lack of any additional data to report.
4. In the 1840 New York State Census for Wolcott in Wayne County NY, Patience PATTEN is listed as the head of household and is between 50 and 60 years old. Her 2nd husband, Jeremiah FINK likely died after the family’s enumeration in the 1830 US Census for Westford, Otsego Co., NY, subsequent to which Patience and at least three of her children moved west and north to Wayne County.
5. In the 30 July 1850 US Census for Wolcott, Wayne Co., NY:
James PATTEN, 36 M, Farmer, $900 in Real Estate, b NY
Patience PATTEN, 59 F, b NY (thus born ca 1791)
Harriet A. FINK, 22 F,
Phebe J. Umphery, 4 F,
Lucy A. Umphery, 1 F
Jeremiah FINK [Jr.], 24 M,
[In this 1850 Census, Jeremiah FINK Sr. has long since died and Mrs. Patience Richmond Fink has remarried--to Mr. James Patten--now the head of household. Two of the children of Jeremiah FINK Sr. and Patience Richmond Fink are living in this household--Harriet A. Fink and her older brother Jeremiah Fink Jr. Two other sons of Patience and Jeremiah, and their families--Peter Sylvester FINK and Jacob FINK--are living on adjacent farms.]
6. In the 27 October 1860 US Census for Red Creek Post Office, in Wolcott, Wayne Co., NY:
SCOTT, John H., 36 M, Farm Laborer, b NY,
SCOTT, Harriet A. [nee Fink], 34 F, b NY,
SCOTT, John M., 8 M, b NY, Attended School
SCOTT, David H., 6 M, b NY, Attended School
SCOTT, Alice A., 4 F, b NY,
SCOTT, Ellen, 2 F, b NY,
PATTEN, Patience, 64 or 74 F, b NY, Cannot Read or Write. Age was corrected from 64 to 74 or vice versa. Patience very likely cannot accurately recall her age with precision. Ten years earlier, her age was “59.”
PATTEN, Jas., 45 M, Farm Laborer, b NY, Cannot Read or Write
FINK, Jeremiah [Junior], 30 M, Farm Laborer, b NY,
[In this 1860 Census Harriet A. Fink has married John Scott and has 4 small children. John Scott is now listed as head of family. Her mother Patience and her step-father James Patten are living within this household. Her unmarried brother Jeremiah Fink Jr. and step-father James Patten are listed as farm labor. Neither Patience nor James Patten can read or write; however Jeremiah Fink Jr and his sister Harriet A. Fink Scott and her husband John H. Scott are literate.]
7. In the 1865 New York State Census for Wolcott, Wayne County, NY:
PATTEN, James, Age 50, Farmer, born in Wayne County NY, married one time
PATTEN, Patience, Age 75, “Wife,” married three times, 11 children,
FINK, Jeremiah, Age 59, “Step-son,” Farmer, Single, b in NY
8. In the 1870 New York State Census for Wolcott, Wayne Co., NY:
PATTEN, Patience, Age 97, Female, Widowed, Keeps House, b in NY
PHINK, Jarry [Jeremiah FINK Jr.], Age 44, Male, Single, Farmer, b in NY
9. In the 7 August 1820 US Census for Westford, Otsego County, New York are enumerated two young families--those of a John FINK and a Jeremiah FINK. Both are of about the same age (45+, thus born before 1775), though John might be a year or two older, and both families comprise two adults and six children. They are probably closely related and possibly are brothers.
1 M/45+ (John FINK--thus born in or before 1775)
1 F/45+ (Mrs. John FINK--thus born in or before 1775)
1 M/45+ (Jeremiah FINK--thus born in or before 1775)
1 F/26-44 (Mrs. Patience Richmond Marston FINK--thus born between 1776 and 1794)
10. In the 1840 US Census for Maryland, Otsego County, MD:
1840 United States Federal Census about John Fenk
Name: John Fenk
State: New York
Free White Persons - Males - 70 thru 79: 1 (Thus born circa 1760-69)
Free White Persons - Females - 70 thru 79: 1 (Thus born circa 1760-69)
Total - All Persons (Free White, Free Colored, Slaves): 2
Persons Employed in Agriculture: 1
Total Free White Persons: 2
Total All Persons - Free White, Free Colored, Slaves: 2
In the 1840 US Census for Middlefield, Otsego County NY there is also a John FINCK
Free White Males 60-69/1
Free White Females 5-9/1
Free White Females 50-59/1
11. In the 1840 US Census for Otego, Otsego County NY, there is also a John FENCK
12. In the 1840 US Census for Maryland Township, Otsego Co., NY, are listed:
1 Male 0-4
1 Male 5-9
1 Male 30-39
1 Female 0-4
1 Female 5-9
2 Females 10-14
1 Female 20-29
13. IN THE 24 JULY 1850 US CENSUS FOR MILFORD, OTSEGO CO., NY, ARE LISTED:
FINK, Jacob, M 40, Laborer, NY
FINK, Lana, F 35, NY
FINK, Margaret, F 20, NY
FINK, Hannah, F 16, NY
FINK, Lana, F 14, NY
FINK, Lydia, F 12, NY
FINK, Harriet, F 9, NY
FINK, John, M 18, Farmer, NY
FINK, David, M 17, Farmer, NY
FINK, Ira, M 1, NY
14. In the 30 July 1850 US Census for Wolcott, Wayne Co., NY:
James PATTEN, 36 M, Farmer, $900 in Real Estate, b NY
Patience PATTEN, 59 F, b NY (thus born ca 1791)
Harriet A. FINK, 22 F, b NY
Phebe J. Umphery, 4 F, b NY
Lucy A. Umphery, 1 F, b NY
Jeremiah FINK [Jr.], 24 M, Farmer, b NY
FINK, Jacob, 29 M, Farmer, b NY
FINK, Julia, 21 F,
FINK, Peter S., 26 M, Farmer, b NY
FINK, Amanda, 23 F, b NY
FINK, Elizabeth, 3 F, b NY
FINK, Johnson, 1 M, b NY
15. In the 5-6 July 1870 US Census for Cooperstown, Middlefield Twp, Otsego Co., NY, are listed:
FINK, Jacob, WM 63, County Pauper, born in the United States.
16. On 30 July 1802 Jeremiah FINK of Worcester, Otsego County, NY, PURCHASED 130 acres and 80 perches of land FROM Richard PETERS, Esquire, and John BARCLAY of Philadelphia, for $275 deposited in the Bank of Albany, NY. (Source: Otsego County Book E, Page 236)
17. On 30 May 1812 Jeremiah FINK of Westford, Otsego County, NY, sold some land (I did not note how much) for $38 to William CAMPBELL, also of Westford, Otsego County, NY. (Source: Otsego County Deed Book O. page 477)
18. On 1 January 1816 Jeremiah FINK of Westford, Otsego County NY bought 126 acres of land for $845 from George William PREVOST, also of Westford, Otsego County NY. (Source: Otsego County Deed Book V, Page 129).
19. On 14 April 1832 Jeremiah FINK of Westford, Otsego NY, sold to John DARLING, also of Westford, Otsego County NY, 126 acres of land for $1,050 (note--seven of these acres were previously sold).
Source: Otsego County Deed Book WW, Page 47.
20. On 13 November 1838 Willard CHASE of Maryland, Otsego County, NY, sold to John FINK, also of Maryland, Otsego NY, "part of a ten acre lot" for $15. (Source: Otsego Deed Book 62, Page 282).
21. On 19 May 1837 Amos BROWN of Maryland, Otsego County, NY, sold to Hannah FINK [daughter of Jacob & Lana FINK in the 1850 US Census], also of Maryland, Otsego County NY, 10 acres of land for $60, on which land John FINK (earlier had) built a house, and on which same lot Jacob FINK now lives. Source: Otsego County Deed Book 62, Page 281.
22. On 18 January 1838 John FINK of Maryland (Otsego County NY) was married to Jane REED of Otsego
by the Rev. H.B. Sprague, Esquire. Source: The Otsego Herald, 29 January 1838.
23. On 30 October 1852 Sofia Jane FINK was admitted by confession to the Worcester Baptist Church, Otsego County, NY.
24. On 17 December 1868 Adeline SPAFFORD of Milford, Otsego County NY, sold to David FINK, also of Milford, about 16 acres of land adjacent to Patrick McCoon for $250. Source: Otsego Deed Book 156, Page 155.
25. On 25 October 1865 Daniel WINDSOR of Springfield, Otsego County NY, sold 3 acres of land for $125 to Philo WEATHERLY and David FINK, both of Milford, Otsego County NY. WEATHERLY received two acres and David FINK received one acre. These three acres were adjacent to three other lots owned by George Clark, by Wm. Murray, and by Philo WEATHERLY. (Source: Otsego Deed Book 227, Page 418). Subsequent entries suggest this land may have been re-sold in 1894.
26. On 19 September 1870 David FINK and Polly FINK his wife sold 16 acres of land for $400 to Patrick McKOWN, in the presence of R.M. Townsend, adjacent to lands owned by John & Lester TOWNSEND, to John A. MOTT, and Patrick McKOWN. Signed by "Polly M. FINK" (who could read and write) and "David FINK, 'X' his mark" (who could not read or write.)(Source: Otsego County Deed Book 156, Page 152.)
27. In the 5 June 1900 US Census for Gibson Township, Cameron County, PA, we find:
David Fink, Head, WM, born “July 1836,” age 63, Married for 46 years, born in NY, both parents born in NY, Farmer, cannot read or write, owns his home and does not rent, has a mortgage.
“Polly M. Fink,” Wife, WF, born “March 1834,” age 64, married for 46 years, born in NY, both parents born in NY, mother of 12 children, 10 are living, reads and writes.
28. The US Decennial Census for 1860 has David & Polly Fink living in Portlandville (Post Office), just west of the town of Maryland, and south of Milford, in Milford Township, Otsego County, NY.
The 1860 US Census, taken on 1 August 1860, in Milford Township, Otsego County NY, has David Fink, WM, age 30, Farmer, (Real Estate valuation of $1600 and Personal Estate of $100), born in NY, together with his wife Polly FINK, WF, age 25, Marvin Fink, age 6, Jesse Fink, age1, and on same page with a different neighbor Family is William Fink, age 5. All of these Finks were born in NY. William Fink is listed beneath a couple, Edmond HUBBARD WM25 and his wife Mariah HUBBARD WF24, who seem to be resident on the farm of an Augustus Townsend, probably the son of another Farmer (prob widow) Charlotte Townsend, WF 55, listed belor David & Polly FINK and probably on a neigbnoring farm.
29. The 1870 US Census, taken on 13 July 1870 for the Post Office of Portlandville, Township of Milford, Otsego County, New York we find:
David Fink, age 35, WM, Farm Laborer, $350 in real estate, b.in NY
Polly Fink, age 39, WF, , “Keeping House,” b. in NY
1.) William Fink, age 16, WM, Laborer, b. in NY
2.) Marvin Fink, age 12, WM, “attends school,” b. in NY
3.) Jessie Fink, age 9, WM, white, b. in NY
4.) Nathan Fink, age 7, WM, b. in NY
5.) John Fink, age 4, WM, b. in NY
6.) Asa Fink, age 2, WM, b. in NY
7.) Sarah Fink, age 6/12, WF, b. in NY, “Nov” 1869 (should be 8/12)
US 1870 Census said that David Fink could neither read nor write.
30. In the 1875 New York Census for Milford, Otsego County, NY:
David FINK, 30 Male, born in Otsego Co NY, Native Voter, Owner of land, Owner of Framed House worth $30, "Unable to Read or Write, Employed as Laborer
Polly FINK, 22 Female, born in Otsego County NY, "Mother of six children"
William FINK, 10 Male, b in Otsego Co NY
Marvin FINK, 7 Male, b Otsego Co NY
Jesse FINK, 6 male, b Otsego Co NY
Nathan FINK, 4 months male, born Otsego Co NY
31. 11 June 1894: David * Polly Fink are in Cameron Co., PA, when youngest child Minnie FINK marries Emery MILLER.
32. David Fink is still alive in 1903, next to Eugene Fink, on the Gibson Elgible Voter Lists for 1903. Both are listed as farmers. No mention of wives.
33. A David Fink is on the 1915 Voters List in Gibson, Cameron County as follows:
Fink, David Est. 36 acres unimproved, 4 improved $ 158. $ 1.58
34. David Fink is still on the Taxables List for Gbson in 1915 at
35. PA Department of Health on 28 April 2003 forwarded to (David & Polly Fink direct descendant) Margaret W. Stevens an Official Document, #205382, entitled “No Record Certification,” by which the PA “Division of Vital Records Certifies that no original record of this death is registered.” Nevertheless, the PA State Registrar, Charles Hardester, certified that David Fink died in Gibson Township, Cameron County, PA, in (“Date of Death”) “1915.”
36. A note of caution. In reading these census returns the
name FINK is variously spelled as FENK, FINCK, PHINK, FENCK, and is very hard to differentiate from FINCH and FENCH. The Finch songbird in German is spelled as Fink.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|