U.S. States: New York: Sullivan County
The following is from the 'History of Sullivan County" by James Eldridge Quinlan, 1873
Sullivan County was occupied by the Lenni Lenape indians when the first white settlers
arrived in the 1600's. Long Eddy was near the town of Freemont.
"Basket and Hankins' creeks are the principal streams of the town. On both of them as
well as some of their tributaries, are numerous mills and manufacturing establishments.
The town is well supplied with small lakes or natural ponds. The most notable of these
are Long, Round and Basket ponds in the northern, Lox in the eastern, and Trout pond in
the central section. These sheets of water were the favorite resorts of hunters and anglers
before this region was settled. The Dodges, Stewarts, Spragues and other early settlers
of Rockland related many thrilling hunting-adventures which occurred in the neighborhood
of these lakes.
Although this was a good locality for the farmer and lumberman, and a few families lived
in the valley of the Delaware at Long Eddy and at Hankins, previous to the conclusion of
the war of the Revolution, it may be said that Fremont was the last town of Sullivan to
which the tide of immigration tended. There was a great store of valuable timber in its
forests, as well as many good mill-sites on its streams, and yet for more than the third of
a century before its resources were made available, the hardy raftmen of the comparitively
remote town of Rockland ran their rafts along the western boarder of Fremont, which
practically continued in a virgin state, because its owners were strangers who made no effort
to quicken its germs of fertility. No avenue of approach was opened to its secret recesses,
and it continued almost as the Indians had left it until there was a probability that the New
York and Erie Railroad would be constructed."