I continue to establish a proven link between Matthew Wilkie (baptized 1770 Ashfield, Hampshire County, Massachusetts; died 16 Jan 1860 Jefferson County, New York) and his children. Matthew was the son of Elizabeth5 Standish (1737-after 1805; Miles4, Isreal3, Josiah2, Myles1) and John Wilkie (Mayflower Families, 5 Generations Project, vol. 14, p. 166-167).
Scouring records, both primary and secondary, for information to prove the children of Matthew, his wife, Phebe Smith, born abt 1778, probably in Vermont ; died 14 Feb 1859 Jefferson County, New York. They are buried at Evans Mills, Jefferson County, New York. I cannot positively, i.e., with solid proof, connect all children to Matthew and Phebe Wilkie, and wish to do so.
1. GEORGE Wilkie: b.c. 1795 in Oneida Co., NY, died 29 September 1883 in Watertown, Jefferson County, New York; married Sally WILSON. Sally was born about 1800. They had 6 known children.
2. MERCY Wilkie: born 10 Sep 1797 Western, Oneida County, New York; died 20 Dec 1872 Aurora, Kane County, Illinois; married Alpheus HINDS on 1 January 1818, Jefferson County, New York. Alpheus was born 9 Mar 1796 at Mount Holly, Vermont, and died 10 Dec 1874, Kane County, Illinois. They had 8 known children.
3. SALLIE Wilkie: 19 May 1804 LeRay, Jefferson County, New York; died 15 Dec 1880 Alexandria, Jefferson County, New York; married Anson AVERY, 26 February 1824 in Watertown, Jefferson County, New York. Anson Avery was born 26 Jan 1804 Brownville, Jefferson County, New York-20 August 1843. He is in Brookside Cemetery, Plessis, Jefferson County, New York. They had 9 known children.
4. STEPHEN Wilkie: b. about 1802; died probably bef. 1830; married Eunice AVERY, born 14 Feb 1806 in Brownville, Jefferson County, New York; died 14 December 1881 Eden, Wyandot County, Ohio. They had 2 known daughters.
5. OLIVE Wilkie: date of birth not verified (tombstone says she died 9 Apr 1895, aged 90 years, 7 months, 23 days), she died in Lyndon, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin; married John CULLEN before 1839 in New York. John was born about April 1812 in Ireland; died 25 Dec 1872 Lyndon, Sheboygan County, Wisconsin. She had 5 known children.
6. ROXIE Wilkie: 10 Nov 1809, Adams, Jefferson County, New York; d. 31 Dec 1886, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; m. Joseph Devolson NEWMAN, about 1835 in Jefferson Co., NY. J.D. Newman was born about 26 Feb 1810 in Albany, Albany County, New York and died 14 April 1898 Chicago, Cook County, Illinois. They had 4 known children.
7. CALVIN Wilkie: b. 22 Jan 1812, Jefferson County, New York; d. 20 Mar 1884 Clinton, DeKalb County, Illinois; m. Sarah C. GRAHAM, 8 Oct 1836, Berlin, Hartford County, Connecticut. Sarah was born about 1814 in Connecticut-died 26 Sep 1889 in a fire, Kane County, Illinois. They had 9 known children.
8. ALMIRA M. Wilkie: b.c. 1816 in Jefferson County, New York (tombstone says she was born 10 June 1818, but census does not support that date); d. 27 Nov 1898 in Naperville, DuPage County, Illinois, buried in Naperville Cemetery, Naperville, DuPage County, Illinois; m. Albert H. DAVIS about 1838, Jefferson County, New York. Albert was born about 1815 in Herkimer County, New York and died 3 October 1856. He is buried in Redwood Cemetery in Redwood, Jefferson County, New York. They had 5 known children.
9. BENJAMIN Franklin Wilkie: b. 1819 Jefferson County, New York; d. 15 Jul 1896 Fayette County, Iowa; m. Sarah J. JONES 12 Mar 1851, Kane County, Illinois. Sarah was born about 1830 in New York and may have died between 1910 and 1920. They had 3 known children.
Matthew Wilkie was a Baptist minister and one of the first settlers of Jefferson County, New York. His brother, John Wilkie (baptized 1769 MA), was also in the Jefferson County area with his family, but was not a Baptist minister. My grandfather always said that his grandmother, Olive Wilkie Cullen (with whom he lived until he was 12) was the daughter of a Baptist minister and a descendant of Myles Standish.
I have a little bit of further information on the family of his brother, John (baptized 1769, Ashfield, Hampshire County, Massachusetts; died before 1850) and his wife, Lucy (about 1776-after 1850 in Indiana) Wilkie Family. Over the years, the known members of their family fanned out from Buckland, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, to Jefferson County, New York, some of the family went to Chautauqua County, New York (about 1835), then on to Bartholomew County, Indiana, (late 1830s) where some remained and one went to Mississippi and one to Iowa. There are several unidentified members of their family.
Two more WILKIE descendants of Myles Standish also moved to Jefferson County, New York: sister Miriam/Mariam Wilkie (about 1781 MA to 1865), married Oliver Barrows (1776-1851); and sister Jerusha Wilkie (bapt. 1772-after 1851), who appears in the Barrows’ household in 1850, unmarried.
Katherine Cullen King
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|