Thank you for taking time to read this query!
I would welcome advice and help in trying to find information about the life in Buffalo of Daniel “Danny” O’Rourke.
My interest in him is that he was my father and the reason why I do not know much about him is that he abandoned my mother and me in 1954, “disappeared” and never again communicated with family or friends in Ireland. It is only recently that I discovered, thanks to Internet, that he had emigrated to America and died in Buffalo.
Daniel O’Rourke (no middle name) was born in Belfast, N. Ireland, on 26 August 1920. His father was Patrick O'Rourke and his mother Winifred Beggins. He emigrated to America in 1954 and died in Buffalo on 5 December 2010. He was a telephone engineer.
More specifically I am asking for help and advice as regards the following points:
- Finding an obituary; I have searched but cannot find any public record of his death beyond the SSDI (his number 297-32-9573).
- Finding out where his ashes have been deposited (in his will he requested that he be cremated); again, I have done various Internet searches but in vain.
- Finding an obituary and additional information about his wife Marjorie Irene who died 19 April 2003 in Florida (I think); her SSDI is 287-16-2496.
- Finding a relatively recent photo of him: for example, would it be possible for me to have access to his driving licence file?
- Tracing his professional career or at least determining the earliest date of his mention in a Buffalo street directory (that could be as long ago as the 1960’s).
Here now are the facts which I have discovered about his life in the States so far:
- arrived in New York on 5 April 1954 (I found a copy of his immigration form on Ancestry);
- had a work contract with the Elyria Telephone Company; I have written to the Elyria Telephone Company (long since been taken over by another company) but got no answer.
- obtained social security number 297-32-9573.
- his initial address in Elyria was 331 8th. Street. In October 1955 he was living in 126 Caroline Street (?avenue).
- divorced my mother in September 1955 from Elyria; I have applied for a copy of the file
- obtained his US citizenship in NY State in 11 July 1961 (petition 60913, further ref. 238-113); I have applied for a copy of the file
- married a lady called Marjorie Irene; she was born 9 April 1922, and died 19 April 2003. I have the impression that they did not have any children because my father’s will does not mention any (but then it doesn’t mention me either!)
- lived in Buffalo from at least the mid-1990’s until his death. He was living in approx. 1995 in 38 Koster Row but died in a simple bungalow at 170 Kimberly Ave (2010). He also used a PO Box at 4715 Clark, in Hamburg.
- married in 2003 a lady called B…. C…. who is still alive and whom I have tried to contact, but either I have the wrong email address or she refuses to answer.
Thank you very much for any information, however small, you may be able to give me about my father’s life in Buffalo or for any suggestions as to how to pursue my research further. Living in Europe I have some difficulty in finding my way around US administrative structures and procedures.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|