Starting Sept. 30, 2014, Genealogy.com will be making a big change. GenForum
message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles
will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will
no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
James Nute came to America from Tiverton, in the County of Devonshire, England. He arrived with his brother, John, in 1631 under the auspices of Captain John Mason to settle his Laconia Patent at Dover Neck, NH. He signed the Dover Combination, now in the English Archives in London, England, on 20 Oct 1640. He served on the Grand Jury in 1643 and served as Selectman of Dover in 1659. He signed his name James Newte. His wife's name was Sarah. In the "Quaker Families" it is recorded that James Nute and his wife and son were among those fined in 1663 for absenting themselves from official worship in order to be with Quakers. They were absent on 25 Sundays and in addition had committed the offense of entertaining Quakers for four hours in one day. In the "History of Strafford County" it is recorded that it was about 1650 that James Nute bought lots numbers 9 and 10 from the grantees Barthey Smeg and John Ugrove, these lots being south of lot number 11, owned by Deacon John Dam. James is buried in the family plot on the west bank of Back River (Bellamy River Wildlife Management Area) with his daughter, Martha, and her husband, William Dam. James Nute's tombstone was restored in 1968 by E.F. Nute. It reads, James (Newte) Nute; born 1613; landed in Portsmouth 1631; settled in Dover 1640; killed by indians 1691. Other tombstones located there are Paul Nute, Ephraim Nute, Augustus Nute, Greenleaf Nute and his wife Susan, Martha Nute, and Leah Dam, wife of Samuel Hayes.