Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Surnames: Norvell Family Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Posted by: John Norvell (ID *****6728) Date: December 03, 2004 at 03:27:31
In Reply to: Re: DANIEL ASHBY NORVELL by Connie Knowles of 827

Thanks for your response. This is a mystery. I have the following information which is well documented that he was the son of Lipscomb Norvell of Nashille, who was my Gr Gr Grandfather

LIPSCOMB NORVELL (born, possibly Hanover County, Virginia, ca. 1756 -died in Nashville, Tennessee March 2, 1843) entered the Continental Army on August 7, 1777 as a cadet in Captain William Mosby's company of the 5th Virginia Regiment of Foot commanded by Colonel Josiah Parker.
On January 15, 1778 he became regimental paymaster. In May 1778, his name appeared on the rolls at Valley Forge, at Brunswick, New Jersey in July, White Plains, New York in August, and West Point, New York in October, and Princeton, New Jersey in December. On February 3, 1779 he was at Middlebrook, New York, in April at Smith's Cove, and on September 8th at Rampaugh, New Jersey. He fought in the Battles of Brandywine, Trenton, and Monmouth.
In 1778, the situation in the American Army was serious. The ragged American Army had moved back from Philadelphia and encamped on the bleak hills of Valley Forge. More than 9,000 men spent the winter starving, frozen, and exhausted. The soldiers only wore whatever rags remained from the clothing they had upon enlistment. Some went barefoot and sickness took its toll, but fortunately the winter was mild and firewood was plentiful. At Valley Forge Washington's staff planned another campaign that would become the Battle of Monmouth.
The Americans hoped to block the British invasion of New Jersey, and on June 18, 1778 Washington put his plans into motion. Initially, the campaign was a disaster that ended in a retreat by the Americans. Only the presence of Washington on the battlefield turned the tide. The Americans stabilized their lines and as the day ended, despite the ninety-six-degree heat, the Americans had prevailed. After the battle, the British retreated to positions in New York, but the Americans had won and historians now regard Monmouth as the Americans' first demonstration of their ability to fight the British in an open engagement.
On September 9, 1778, Lipscomb became a 2d Lieutenant and moved to the 3d Continental Line on September 14th. In February 1780, now promoted to 1st Lieutenant, he shortly transferred back to the 5th Virginia Regiment, February 20, 1780. He was taken prisoner at Charleston (probably after the British invasion of 1780) and remained there until the end of the War.
From his service, he joined the Society of the Cincinnati. The society, founded on May 10, 1783, was composed of officers of the Continental Army. A society was established in each of the thirteen colonies. The flag of the society was designed by Baron Von Steuben. Pierre L'Enfant, who also planned the City of Washington, designed the certificate of membership and eagle insignia of the society. Early members included Nathaniel Greene, John Paul Jones, Horatio Gates, James Monroe, Light Horse Harry Lee, and Presidents George Washington and James Monroe.
Lipscomb received 2666 acres of land from the State of Virginia in April 1783 as bounty for his three-years service. He also received pay certificates for his service totaling $1696.07. He returned to Hanover County, Virginia after the war and remained there, according to the property tax rolls, until 1783.
In 1783, Lipscomb married Mary (Mollie) Hendrick (born 1763 -died before 1828), the daughter of John D. Hendrick. About 1787, they moved to Kentucky where they were early settlers on the Virginia-Kentucky border. When the permanent boundary line was fixed that year, they found themselves in Kentucky. Consequently their youngest son Caleb Cushing Norvell was born in Kentucky while his brothers and sisters were born in Virginia.
Lipscomb and Mary had 12 children. He is listed on the Mercer County, Kentucky tax list in 1789. He had considerable land in Lincoln County, Kentucky from 1791-1796. He was in Warren County, Kentucky from 1797-1803. On February 12, 1804 he received an additional land bounty of 148 acres. He obtained additional land on Sinks Beaver Creek in 1810. On June 5, 1797 he became a Justice of the Peace in the newly organized Garrard County. He had moved to Garrard County after living in Mercer County for about 10 years. Mary died before 1827 when Lipscomb moved to Nashville, Tennessee.
In his later years, Lipscomb petitioned the Federal Government for monies due for his Revolutionary War service. The question of pensions arising from the war was complicated because of the different ways in which a veteran could be compensated for his service. It was not uncommon for a veteran such as Lipscomb to receive bonus lands from the state. Under laws passed by the federal government, he also could receive payment. At the end of the war, Lipscomb received $1,600.00 for five years of pay under a commutation certificate, which Congress had authorized in 1783. In May 1828, Congress authorized additional payments to Revolutionary War veterans. It was then that Lipscomb petitioned for additional monies. In June 1828 he appeared before Justice of the Peace Thomas J. Read and petitioned to be added to the pension rolls declaring "I have received of the United States as a pension since the 3 day of March 1826 no money having never been on the Pension list." For the remainder of his life he continued to press his Revolutionary claims.

Children of Lipscomb and Mary Hendrick Norvell:
Joseph Norvell
Elizabeth Norvell
Joshua Norvell
Thomas Norvell
Hendrick Norvell
Martha Norvell
William Norvell
Caleb Cushing Norvell, see below.
Moses Norvell, see Chapter XVI, page 155.
Mary Norvell, see Chapter XVII, page 161.
Lipscomb Norvell, Jr. see Chapter XVIII, page 137.
John Norvell, see Chapter XIX, page 179.

THOMAS NORVELL (born 1798 -died of Yellow Fever in New Orleans in 1880) married in 1839 Nancy Ashby (born 1816 -died 1850) and was a physician. They had one known son Daniel Ashby Norvell (1841-1906) who married Mary Agnes Younger (born 1842- died 1916). They had a daughter Glenora Norvell (born 1874) who married in 1897 Felix Leland Watkins (born 1869).

It is possible Lipscomb's Thomas was not married to Nancy Ashby but I have never seen this. I know that the family was in Navarro Coutny TX, but this was not Liscomb's line. The problem with the Norvells is multiple offsprings with the same name. Although they must have been related as all the Norvells seem to descend from the line of Captain Hugh Norvell of Williamburg. As I said I have nothing on James Monroe Norvell. Hope this helps, you may be right, but I cannot prove this either way.

John Norvell

Notify Administrator about this message?

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network