U.S. States: New Mexico: Santa Fe County
From the book "New Mexico Place names-A Geographical Dictionary."Edited By T.M.Pearce.
CARRIZOZO-(Lincoln).In SW Lincoln County,at junction of US 54 and 380.Named for Carrizo Springs.In 1899,the EP&NE RR built their line to this point and a town was started,but is was not platted until 1907.James Allcook,foreman for a cattle ranch,then added a second ZO to Carrizo,making the name Carrizozo,the extra syllable indicating "Abundance."A.H.Harvey was the first Postmaster,as well as first depot agent.Post Office,1902-.