1. John Henry Teten born 15 Aug. 1831 in Hanover, Germany. Married Sophie Eckhoff, she born April 10, 1826 in Hanover, Germany.
2. John J. Teten who married Barbara Orban. Druggist in NE. Need to find date of birth, marriage and death. Note, had brother named J. Henry, see below. So, George Carl born 2 years after book written. In 1890 he was living here: Teten John J, city clerk, 821 Cen Ave, Nebraska City, NE per GAZETTEER BUSINESS DIRECTORY for 1890-91 J.M. Wolfe & Co., Publishers, 1890
JOHN H. TETEN, SR., one of the most thrifty German farmers of Rock Creek Precinct, has been for the last twenty-one years successfully cultivating 160 acres of land on section 29. Here he established himself in the midst of an unbroken stretch of country, when his neighbors were few and far between, and when what is now a populous district of intelligent and enterprising people was then inhabited principally by wild animals and roamed over by Indians. Not only had Mr. Teten come to the wild West, but had journeyed across the ocean to a strange country, from his native Province of Hanover, in Germany, which was a Kingdom at the time of his birth, which occurred on the 15th of August, 1831.
The father of our subject, John Henry Teten by name, accompanied the latter hither, and died six months after his arrival at the home of his son in Rock Creek Precinct. The mother, Mrs. Gesche Teten, had died in her native Germany. John H. was one of the younger members of the household, and, like most of the children of Germany, received a thorough education. Upon reaching manhood he was married to Miss Sophie C. Ekhoff, also a native of Hanover, and who was born April 10,
OTOE COUNTY. 423
1826. They came to the United States after the birth of five children, and after their arrival here one more child was added to the household circle. These children are all living:
1. J. Henry, Jr., married Miss Margareta Walken, who was born in Germany and came to the United States when a young woman, three years before her marriage. They have two children--John H. and an infant named Gerhard A. This son and his family live with our subject, and assist in the management of the farm. He is a very promising young man, fully as energetic and industrious as his father.
2. John J. married Miss Barbara Orban, a lady Of German birth and parentage, and is in the drug business in Nebraska City, and City Clerk;
3. Herman is farming for himself in Otoe County;
4. H. Christina is the wife of Herman J. Neemann, who is engaged in farming in Russell Precinct;
5. Talka M. and
6. Anna Z. are at home with their parents.
Our subject and his family all belong to the Lutheran Church, to the support of which they contribute cheerfully and liberally, and in which Mr. T. is a leading member and one of its pillars. He is an earnest advocate of the principles of the Democratic party, and Vice President of the Democratic Club of Rock Creek Precinct.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|