I'm looking for any information on this family. Especially the names of Dorothea's parents, who came from Norway. Also, I don't know anything about three of their children: Carlos, Martin and James.
James Askwig was born 3 Jun 1840 in LaSalle Co., IL and died 4 Sep 1917 in Oakland, Burt, NE. He married Dorothea Ann Tue/Tew 22 Oct 1862 in Tekamah, Burt, NE. Dorothea was born 10 May 1847 in Racine Co., WI and died 11 Sep 1916 in Oakland, Burt, NE. They had these children:
1. Carlos? was born abt 1863.
2. Martin (Van Buren?) was born abt 1865 in IA.
3. Edwin Johnson was born 10 Jul 1867 in Oakland, NE and died 5 Aug 1939 in Oakland, NE. He married Jennie Amelia Krogh 26 Sep 1888 in Oakland, NE. They had no children.
4. Evelina M. was born 3 Sep 1871 in Oakland, NE and died 12 Feb 1896 in Oakland, NE. She married Earl V. Griffin 27 Aug 1887 in Oakland. They had two children: Roy DeWitt Griffin and Wesley A. Griffin.
5. James LeRoy was born abt 1879.
According to James' obit, he came to Burt County in 1856 and was considered a pioneer. "Before there was any town where Oakland now stands, he lived here. When the railroad was built thru the Logan Valley in 1879, it was on the Askwig farm that the townsite of Oakland was located. It is interesting, too, to note that the man for whom Oakland was named, John Oaks, was Mr. Askwig's brother-in-law.
Dorothea's obit said "Her parents moved to Illinios soon after her birth. Her mother died of Cholera. She was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. (George) Erickson. On her 8th birthday, May 10, 1855, she, with her adopted parents left Leland, Illinois for the new country across the Missouri..."
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|