Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: Regional: U.S. States: North Dakota: Ward County

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Anna (Aker) Pitts, died Dec 1915, Vang Twp
Posted by: Marjorie Landreville (ID *****5307) Date: October 23, 2007 at 15:03:28
  of 106

I'm looking for information on Anna (Aker) Pitts, who died in Vang Twp in Dec. 1915. The state death index does not list her. All I know about her death is from the article below. Anna was born about 1880 in South Dakota (parents unknown). She married my grand-uncle Stephen Pitts about 1902 and they homesteaded in Vang.

I would like to know her date of death (and burial place), date of birth, and parents' names. Other information would also be welcome.


(North Dakota State Historical Society microfilm numbers 09492
Transcribed August, 2000 by: Mary Lindbo, mjlindbo@msn.com)

Towner County, ND, Hansboro News published December 10, 1915

KEROSENE CAUSES DEATH

Minot, North Dakota - Mrs. Stephen Pitts who lived at the farm home 25 miles southwest of this
city died at a local hospital following injuries which she received when her body was badly
burned in a kerosene fire at her home.

A baking powder can nearly filled with kerosene was sitting on the warming shelf of the kitchen
range. While attending to her household work she reached to get this can and in some manner the
contents were spilled over herself and the stove and took fire from the hot stove. She was
immediately enveloped in flames. Her screams attracted the attention of C. A. Jorgenson who was
in another room and he rushed to her rescue and made a heroic effort to save the woman's life,
receiving a number of severe burns in his desperate efforts to beat out the flames which by
this time enveloped her entire body.

Medical aid was rushed from this city in an effort to relieve the sufferings of the woman and
if possible save her life. She was brought to this city by automobile last night, but death
came a few hours after she had been placed in the ward.

Coroner Doe was notified of the death and after looking into the facts decided there was no
need to incur the expenses of an inquest, as there was no question as to how she came to her
death.

The husband of the dead woman is now in a local hospital, having been operated upon for
appendicitis. Besides him, she leaves four children. Neighbors and friends have taken charge of
the home and are giving the stricken family all the attention and care and sympathy possible.
The children who are paralyzed by the awful tragedy in their home, are being cared for by kind
people of the community who are seeking to assuage the grief of the stricken ones.



Notify Administrator about this message?
Followups:

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

http://genforum.genealogy.com/nd/ward/messages/78.html
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network