I am looking for information, particularly a will or will abstract, for the James Woods who died in Wake County NC sometime after 1870 when he and his wife Mary (both age 78) were enumerated on page 159 of the 1870 Wake County Census? Or does anyone know if James was still alive in 1880, as I'm unable to locate an index for 1880?
James Woods (b Orange County NC 1792) is the son of Joseph Woods (1750-1852) and Anna (McKee?) Woods (1771-1846); and the grandson of Hugh Woods (ABT 1732-1800) and Mary (Dunagan?) (d Orange County 1822). James married a Mary "Polly" Brown (b NC 1792) in Orange County NC on 15 May 1818. James' older brother, Hugh Woods, served as his bondsman.
James and his family moved from Orange County NC to Wake County NC sometime between 1850-1860 and his family is also enumerated on page 179 of the 1860 Wake County NC Census. The children of James Woods and Mary Polly Brown are as follows:
1. A son born between 1820-1825 (out of household by 1850 Orange County NC enumeration)
2. A daughter born between 1820-1825 (out of household by 1850 Orange County NC enumeration)
3. James (b 1832). Enlisted in the Confederate Army in Wake County NC on 1 May 1861 (E Company, 14th Infantry Regiment, NC). Killed at the Battle of the Wilderness on 6 May 1864.
4. Lambert (b 1834). Enlisted in the Confederate Army in Wake County NC on 1 May 1861 (E Company, 14th Infantry Regiment, NC). Killed at the Battle of Seven Pines on 31 May 1862.
5. Narcissa (b 1830) married an S. J. Allen on 15 Apr 1857 in Wake County, North Carolina.
I'm trying to narrow down the date of James' (and his wife's) death prior to ordering a search for probate records in Wake County. Thanks for any comments.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|