I have been looking for the father of John Henry Taylor, born 1802, NC, died about Dec 17, 1877, Pender Co., NC
Married (1)Martha Jane (Henry or Montague) bet. 1830-1836. She was born Sept 1813, Long Creek and died Jan 26, 1859, Rocky Point, New Hanover Co.
Married (2) Lucy Jane Rooks Taylor, Feb 3, 1869. She was widow of Henry W. Taylor that died 1860-1869. I have explored the possibility that Henry was John's brother, but I can't figure out who his father is either.
Children of John and Martha (no children by Lucy):
(1) Charles Montague, b. Oct 19, 1836, Rocky Point; died May 10, 1891;
married Zilphia Ellen Lewis Keith, June 2, 1870, New Hanover Co.
(2) John, b. abt. 1838, probably died 1862-1876. [I can't sort out several Johns of this age]
(3) Margaret Ann, b. abt. 1842 New Hanvoer Co.; married Joseph T. Powell August 9, 1860, New Hanover Co.
(4) Mauice [Morris] A., b. abt. 1844, d. Sept 23, 1863.
(5) Clarissa [Clara], b. Dec 24, 1842, d. Sept 9, 1920, Long Creek; no marriage, but she had one child.
(6) Elizabeth Jane, b. March 20, 1849, New Hanover Co., d. Feb 22, 1922; married Major Love Rooks, Dec 17, 1872.
(7)Mary E., b. 1851-1852, d. bet. 1900-1910; married Edward L. Vernon, 1878.
(8) Martha Ellen, b. abt. 1857 New Hanover Co., d. bet. 1877-1880 Pender Co.; married Robert Edward Evans Feb 27, 1874, Lincoln, New Hanover Co.
My ancestor, Charles Montague, was in the Civil War along with 2 of his brothers, John and Mauice.
I descend from Charles' son, John Edward, which was referred to after 1920 census as "James Edward". He was born Dec 28, 1872, Rocky Point, New Hanover Co., and d. Jan 30, 1966, Rocky Point; married Octavia Scott, Feb 12, 1896 Long Creek.
John Edward's daughter, Mamie Dorothy, b. Feb 22, 1898 Pender Co., d. May 28, 1934; married my grandfather, Nathan Bordeaux Herring, August 28, 1919, Pender Co.
John Henry Taylor is in the 1820 New Hanover Co. census as head, even though he would have only been about 18. The only other person in the household is a female, 26-45 [1775-1794]. I have went on the probable assumption that this is his mother, although that may not be true. I have mulled over all of the census and wills looking for evidence of mother and father, with no luck.
I have posted on the Taylor website, with no luck. I was hoping that someone on the Pender forum may be able to help, or direct me to someone that can.
Pam Herring Mashburn
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|