I've come across information I believe strongly suggests Matthew McCorkle (b. 30 Jul 1776 Mecklenburg NC, son of John and Margaret Evans) had a son named Matthew. Thus far, I have only found one of Matthew's sons (Nelson) named in common Mecklenburg NC McCorkle genealogy. The only Matthew McCorkle listed on the 1820 Mecklenburg census, however, has five other males (three under 10 yrs old) living with him. Son Nelson's birth year would confirm he is one of these three younger brothers. If I am correct, my Matthew McCorkle is one of the other two young boys, likely an older brother to Nelson and Jr. to Matthew Sr.
Here is the information I've uncovered. I would appreciate any responses:
In researching an Arkansas branch of the NC McCorkle family tree, I interviewed several McCorkle family members, one of whom had also done research on the family's genealogy. In his research, he had uncovered a series of McCorkle family Bibles that recorded a line of McCorkles who migrated from PA to NC to AR.
I've been able to confirm the Bibles' recorded births of later generations, family groups and migrations using other family records and interviews, which I later matched against the AR and NC censuses from 1800 to 1930.
Here is a summary of the direct line from NC to AR as documented in the McCorkle Bibles:
 Matthew McCorkle b. 1770's Mecklenburg Co. NC. Matthew's parents (unnamed) migrated to Mecklenburg Co. from western Pennsylvania. Matthew noted as possibly b. western PA and migrated to Mecklenburg Co. as young child.
 Matthew b. ca 1810 Mecklenburg Co. NC
 Samuel Thomas b. 1840's Mecklenburg Co. NC, m. Ellen Delany b. ca 1855 Lancaster Co. SC, d. ca 1917 southwest AR. [Samuel Thomas listed as 'S.T. McCorkle' on 1850 Union Co. census. All subsequent censuses list him by his familiar name 'Thomas.']
 James Thomas b. 3 Nov 1895 Columbus, Hempstead, AR (m. Willie Miranda Walker b. 13 Mar 1898 Saratoga, Howard, AR, d. 7 Aug 1989 Mineola, Wood, TX), d. Sep 1962 AR
Subsequent (living) generations are recorded and confirmed.
This McCorkle family Bible line is tracked by cross-referencing the following federal census records (all family members named on censuses match family records):
- 1800 & 1820 NC, Mecklenburg: Matthew McCorkle, John McCorkle
- 1850 NC, Union, Monroe: dwelling 192 'Matthew McCorkle'
- 1860 NC, Union, Walkersville: dwelling 511 'Elizabeth McCorkle'
- 1870 NC, Union, Jackson: dwelling 13 'Thomas McCorkle' (note, dwelling 16 is Samuel Thomas' future brother-in-law, 'William Delaney')
- 1880 NC, Union, Sandy Ridge: dwelling 430 'Thomas McCorkle'
- 1910 AR, Howard, Saratoga: dwelling 126 'Thomas S McKorkle'
- 1930 AR, Howard, Saratoga: dwelling 18 'James T McCorkle'
- I've seen it documented that John McCorkle and Margaret Evans migrated to Mecklenburg Co. from PA, which matches the family Bible's record of  Matthew's parents' migration to Mecklenburg NC from western PA. John and Margaret's son Matthew was born 30 July 1776, also matching  Matthew.
- Additionally, the family Bible line notes the name "Archibald" as being closely related to  Matthew. We initially believed Archibald to be  Matthew's middle name, however, inspection of John and Margaret Evans' other children reveals a son named Archibald, brother to Matthew.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|