I am a descendant of John Rice who was Deputy Secretary of the North Carolina Province as well as early (c.1745) Clerk of the Craven County, NC Court and later served as Craven County, NC Coroner. John Rice was the only son of Nathaniel Rice who was Governor of Colonial North Carolina. John Rice married Sarah Carruthers, daughter of John Carruthers and Sarah Jones. I am pasting below an outline of the Gov. Nathaniel Rice family. If anyone has further information on the line or Carruthers, Hawks, Wrenford, or Cheek families, I'd appreciate hearing from you (also, family connected with Moore and Murphy families in some way).
Outline of Gov. Nathaniel Rice family:
Nathaniel Rice died in 1753 while serving as Colonial Governor of North Carolina. He was in New Hanover Co., NC as early as 1728, and may have had other relatives there such as Nathaniel Rice, Sr., John Rice, and Thomas Rice living in the area. He was Secretary of the Province and Member of the Royal Council from 1731 to 1753, and Gov. of North Carolina in 1734 and 1752-1753. He married Anne Gibbs in 1726 at St. Clement's Danes Church in London, England (Early Records refer to Nathaniel as brother-in-law of Martin Bladen, Member of Parliament & Commissioner of the Board of Trade & Plantations -- this was by virtue of the fact they married sisters, both daughters of Colonial NC Gov. John Gibbs & Elizabeth Pride, with Elizabeth Pride being a great-niece of George Monck, the first Duke of Albemarle and one of the eight original Lords Proprietors). Nathaniel Rice also married Mary Bursey following the death of Anne Gibbs, which may have been after 1737 since one "Hannah Rice" appears in a New Hanover deed as a witness on that date.
Son of Nathaniel Rice & either Anne Gibbs or Other Unknown Spouse:
1. John Rice d. abt. 1777-1778 in Craven County & married Sarah Carruthers.
John Rice (son of Nathaniel, the Governor) was Deputy Secretary of the Province and a Clerk & Coroner of Craven County, North Carolina where he was very active from the mid-1740's up until the 1760's (judging by the records of the county). He married Sarah Carruthers and based on my recent research, it has been determined they had the following children:
1. Nathaniel Rice (died possibly before 1769)
2. John Rice, Jr. b. abt.1748 & d. aft. 1810; m. Abigail Sugg in Wake Co., NC in 1773
3. Sarah Rice m. John Hawks, architect of Tryon's Palace (colonial & provincial capitol of NC) in New Bern, NC
4. Mary Rice m. Edmund Wrenford
5. Thomas Rice
6. Penelope Rice m. Thomas Cheek
7. Elizabeth Rice
8. Fannie Rice
9. Stephen Joseph Rice (?)
10.Anna Charlotte Rice m. Thomas Roycroft in 1789 in Wake Co., NC.
John Rice, Jr. was born in Craven County, NC, but moved to Wake County by 1771, where he was first Clerk of the County Court. He married Abigail Sugg in 1773, but left her in the early 1780's according to legislative divorce petition by Abigail Sugg Rice & her father Joshua Sugg(appeal for protection of her assets from John Rice). John Rice, Jr. was in Johnston Co., NC starting in the late 1790's and is in the census there as late as 1810.
John Rice, Jr. and Abigail Sugg had the following son:
1. Joshua Rice b. abt. 1775 & d. aft.1850 in Sumner Co., TN; "may have married" Abigail Smith, daughter of John Smith of Johnston Co., NC.
John Rice, Jr. & unidentified had the following children:
1. Betsy Rice b.abt. 1792 & d. after 1856 in Johnston Co.,NC; m.Ichabod Youngblood
2. Thomas Rice b. bet.1790 & 1800 & d. abt. 1848 in Johnston Co., NC; m. 1) Chloe Bulls 2) Patsy Turner
Joshua Rice was born in Wake Co., NC, but had moved to Sumner Co., TN possibly by 1800 where he lived the rest of his life with the exception being 1830 when he appeared in Hopkins Co., KY. He may have married Abigail Smith although more proof is needed. He did have a second marriage to Judith Kirby in 1841.
Children of Joshua Rice & Unknown (possibly Abigail Smith):
1. Nathaniel Rice b. abt. 1794 & d. 1853 in Randolph Co., MO; m. Ann Uzzell
2. Sarah Rice
3. Polly Rice m. Isaac Groves
4. John Rice m Mary Gilbert
5. James Rice m. Mary Barnard
6. Thomas Rice m. 1. Unknown 2. Jane Payne 3. Serena?
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|