William Boswell was born 1774 in Orange Co NC (became Caswell/Person) died 1857 Lawrence Co TN. He married Mary Fuller, probably about 1800 in NC. Mary (Fuller) Boswell was born between 1774-1795 in NC; died between Mar and Jul 1836 in Lawrence Co TN.
In the 1820 census, Person Co NC, William Boswell (over 45 so born before 1775) has 6 sons (born 1794-1820) and 4 daughters (born 1794-1820), his wife would be the female 26-45 (born 1775-1794), and 2 slaves.
In Jan 1829, William purchased 50 acres of land in Lawrence Co TN, in which he is shown as a resident of Giles Co TN and, also in 1829, he applied for 25 acres of Occupant Land in Lawrence Co TN. So family migrated from Person Co NC to Giles Co TN before 1829.
In 1830 census, Lawrence Co TN, William Boswell age 50-60 has 4 sons (3 under age of 10 so born since the 1820 census – total of 9 sons ) and 2 daughters (ages 10 to 20 so perhaps two of those reported in 1820) and wife age 40-50 (born between 1780-1790).
Mary died in 1836 shortly after filing for divorce from William. She states in her divorce petition that she and William married in NC – unfortunately no date, no county, no state indicated. 1840 census doesn’t indicate children born to them after 1830.
Considering the ages of the older children in the 1820 census, if William & Mary migrated to Giles/Lawrence Co TN about 1829, a number of their children may have already married in NC and did not travel with them to TN. Some of the children may have migrated with them to Giles/Lawrence Co TN after 1820 and married before 1830 so aren’t shown in 1830 census with William & Mary.
I am trying to identify all their children – looks like 9 sons and 4 daughters – some of those children in the census records may not have survived.
I have identified five of their children as follows who are in the Lawrence Co TN area. I list their spouses and children to look for Boswell/Fuller naming conventions.
1. Susannah Boswell b. 8 Jun 1815, md. in 1835 to John J. Kelly, Lawr Co TN. Children Manerva, Malinda, Mary T., William P., and John J. Kelly. Susannah would be one of the daughters in 1820 census.
2. Elizabeth Boswell married Edmund Gatlin in 1830, Lawr Co TN. No known children. One of the daughters in the 1820 census.
3. Kingston G. Boswell b. 1822 NC married in 1847 to Mary Ann Wheeler, Lawr co TN, dau of Stephen Wheeler. Named their two children James S. and Charles Kingston Boswell. Kingston born between 1820 and 1830.
4. Burley W. Boswell b. abt 1819, NC, married Mary Frances Stribling in 1823 in Lawr Co. Children: James Daniel, Eliza J., Betsey/Rose A., Minerva, Eleanor, Malinda, Abner B., Emily, William Jasper, Mary/Margaret. Burley would be one of sons in 1820 census.
5. Alexander – died in Mexican War, unmarried. (I think Alexander was younger son, so born between 1820 and 1830.)
That’s only 5 of their, maybe, 13 children. So who? Where? Are William and Mary’s other children? Born 1794 thru 1820 in North Carolina, probably Person County, may have remained in NC or migrated to Giles/Lawrence Co TN or other areas. Any suggestions appreciated!!
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|