While doing Helton family research in Caldwell County, NC I came across a cemetery that had several Puett family grave stones in it. This cemetery may be common knowledge in the Puett family and Caldwell County, but just in case it is not I am passing along what I found. I took some pictures which I can send to you if you are interested. Please request via e-mail since I seldom monitor this forum.
The cemetery was next to what is known locally as the “old Lutheran Church site”. It was located on a road that ran between Lenoir and Morganton, NC. The road is no longer there and it is grown over in trees and brush, as is the cemetery. Someone has pushed over many of the stones and broken them, but I did write down and take some pictures of the most visible ones. There are probably other stones that are covered over with leaves. I did see one broken stone that had a date of birth in the 1700’s, but no name.
The following is what I copied from grave stones:
1. W. B. Puett, born: 3 Sep 1857 and died: 16 Apr 1893
2. D. Murchinson Puett, born: 28 May 1829 and died: 16 Feb 1914
3. Mary, wife of John Puett, died: Aug 1864
4. Joseph Nelson Puett, no dates
5. M. Mahala Link, wife of David C. Link, born: 19 Nov 1821 and died: Oct 1895 “73 yrs, 10 months, and 20 days”
6. Charliew ? son of G.W. and G.I. Crump. Born: 1876 and died 1 May 1878. [I think the parents are George Washington Crump and Goula Irene Puett, born 16 Aug 1868. I ran across this in the Caldwell County Heritage Book: Enoch Bean married Elizabeth Crump, widowed with 2 children, George Washington (2yrs) and Calvin (2 months), 20 Sep 1860. George married Goula. He listed his parents as George and Elizabeth Crump.
I also found in the Caldwell Heritage book, Rebecca Corpening, b. 12 Mar 1821 and d. 14 Mar 1893, married first, cousin John H. Corpening (1826-1850) and second, Daniel Murchinson Puett. Married 27 Feb 1853.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|