I am trying to sort out my sometimes confusing family and was wondering if anyone had run across any thing that might help me
A brief summary:
1. 1850 census for Buncombe Co., NC has family of John Taylor, 32, NC; Mary 35, SC; Martha 16,NC; Malenda I.? 6, NC; Mary E. 4, NC; Wm. C. 2/12, NC and E. M. SNOWDEN 60, Scotland, female. [John B. Taylor was born about 1818 in Mills River, NC and his first marriage was to Mary Carter born about 1814 in SC.]
2. 1860 census for Asheville, Buncombe Co., NC has Margaret Taylor 22, NC and Joanna Taylor 2, NC. They were household # 208 and she was a seamstress.
3. 1850 and 1860 censuses for Asheville, Buncombe Co., NC have E. M. Orr living in home of Ephraim Clayton They were household # 258 in 1860.
4. 1870 census for Sulphur Springs, Buncombe Co., NC has household of: Margaret Orr 33, NC; Josiah Orr 13, female, NC; Thomas Orr 9, NC; Ephram Orr 7, NC; Carter Taylor 20, NC; and Wilson Harris 20, NC.
5. Ephraim Marshall Orr (about 1834-20 October 1863) was married (no record found) to Margaret Matilda Hunter (5 October 1835-16 September 1915), daughter of John Hunter (born in GA on census; NC on Margaret's death certificate) and Mary Ann SNOWDEN (born in SC on census; in the south on death certificate).
6. Ephraim Marshall Orr died as a POW in 1863. His lengthy estate records; with his great uncle, Ephraim Clayton, as administrator, make no mention of Joanna and she is not provided for.
7. Although several published family histories list Joanna as a child of E. M. Orr, I think she was the daughter of M. M. Hunter and a first husband with surname Taylor.
a. I am wondering if there was a family relationship and what it was to Carter Taylor who was in the home and a farm laborer in 1870? In 1880, Carter W. Tayler was living with his sister Emaline Trotter and her husband, James, in Greenville, SC.
b. I am also wondering about the connection of Ms. E. M. SNOWDEN (b. 1790 in Scotland) living in home of John and Mary Taylor on 1850? From her age, she could be the grandmother of Margaret Matilda Hunter. The SC connections are also possible clues.
Any help would be appreciated.
Marshaleigh Orr Bahan
NOTE: Joanna married Robert B. Glenn about 1878. A daughter in law , Mrs Marshall Glenn, provided information for Margaret M. Hunter Orr's death certificate.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|