Alfred Merrill (Merriel) Stewart, Sr and Catherine Richardson Stewart of Anson County NC were my gg-grandparents.
I have been told that Alfred died October 10, 1841, ten days after his son Alfred Merrill (Merriel) Stewart, Jr, was born on Sep 30, 1841, due to cutting a mole off his face while shaving. Possibly he died from an infection or bled to death. I do not know where he is buried - please share with me if you do know where he is buried or if you have any information on his parents.
Around 1854 Catherine loaded her 8 children in a wagon, left Anson County NC, crossed the mountains and moved to Henderson County TN with a group led by Elder Hosea Preslar. Her children were:
1. Mahala Caroline Stewart b.1827
2. Roseanna Margaret (Peggy) Stewart b.1829
3. James Sanders Stewart b. 1830
4. Nancy Angeline Stewart (Preslar) b. 1832
5. John R. Stewart b. 1835 - died in Andersonville Prison Ga.
6. Parthenia Dorthea Stewart (Bailey) b.1837
7. William Robinson Stewart b. 1839
8. Alfred Merrill Stewart Jr. b. 1841 (my g-grandfather)
I have a copy of the book "Tennessee Roots: Catherine Stewart of Henderson County"(TN) which was written about Catherine and her family and known descendants. I also have a copy of a book "Thoughts on Divine Providence" written by Elder Preslar. Sadly the books have very few details about the trip to Tennessee.
Alfred Sr and Catherine's last son, Alfred Jr and Rebecca Elizabeth Harper were my g-grandparents by their 4th child, Thomas McGee Stewart and Minnie Tugalow Bullman.
I would love to hear from anyone connected to this family.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|