I descend from Nancy Mulkey's daughter, Mary Polly SMITH.
Nancy was married to James SMITH. I have researched this family and have some documents relating to them but will need to dig through my files. I have seen him listed as James Jaylor SMITH and James A. SMITH.
Family legend claims Nancy traveled the Trail of Tears to Arkansas, where she settled in Crawford county to be near her grandchildren, the Rev. William SHEPHERD & Granville GRIFFITH families. It is believed that Nancy died before James.
James SMITH lived with his son, Brooks & Tabitha Ann (Wright) SMITH in the 1850 census in Jackson county, AL. He was listed as James A. SMITH, age 88, born 1762 in AL. I suspect he died in Alabama.
I have seen James Smith (1762-aft 1850) as being born to either a Joe or John SMITH.
Nancy & James' sons were:
1) Brooks SMITH (1796-1877) sp of Tabitha Ann WRIGHT. Brooks & Tabitha are buried in Aspel Methodist Church Cemetery in Scottsboro, Jackson, AL.
2) Jesse (1800-)
3) Elijah (1810-)
4) James (supposedly, per a descendant) sp of Lovey PROVINCE.
Nancy's daughters were:
1) Jemima (1784-1876) sp of Nimrod SHEPHERD, buried in Jellico Creek Cemetery in Pine Know, McCreary, Kentucky.
2) Sarah (1790-1824) sp of John A. GRIFFITH
3) Mary Polly (1791-bef 1855) sp James Bradford WRIGHT (my direct line)
4) Fereba (1795-) sp -- Neely
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|