Compiled May 30 – June 1, 2013 by Jean E. DeLauche
Beware: This is a l-o-n-g post.
While trying to figure out “who was who” in one of my family lines, I ended up tracing a family in which one of the daughters married into the family line I was researching; the Agan family. I am researching the Burbank family which is related to my Barrington family from Wisconsin and ultimately County Kildare, Ireland.
Since it took much figuring out and since I didn’t find much on them researched by others, I am posting the info I researched and found on them, in hopes it may prove helpful to others. I am not descended through this Agan family line, so I do not have any other info to offer other than what I give below.
AGAN, DANIEL R.
b. 1827, Indiana; d. 1875; buried: Old Sugarland Cemetery, Washington, Daviess Co., Indiana (Find A Grave Memorial # 48837353, TinyURL link: http://tinyurl.com/lj8aunh
- 1860 & 1870 census, living with wife & family, Washington, Daviess Co., Ind.
- 1860, occupation: cabinet maker
- 1870, occupation: house carpenter
AGAN, LYDIA, wife, don’t know her maiden name; maiden name _may_ have been Coleman
b. May 1837, Indiana; d. unknown; Last found in 1910 census living with daughter Gertrude, Gertrude’s husband Arthur I. Burbank, and family, Miles City, Custer Co., Montana
- 1860 & 1870 census, living with husband, Washington, Daviess Co., Ind.
- 1880 census, widowed, living with children, Washington, Daviess Co., Ind.
- 1887 Chicago City Directory, AGAN, MRS. LYDIA, residence: 3449 Dearborn, Chicago, Illinois
- 1889 Chicago City Directory, AGAN, LYDIA (widow of Daniel), residence: 448 1/2 37th Ct., Chicago
-1900 census, living with her widowed daughter, GERTRUDE, who must have married a man with the surname PALMER, and her 3 children (see list below)
- 1910 census, living with daughter GERTRUDE, who was then married to ARTHUR I. BURBANK, residing at Miles City, Custer Co., Montana (See more on Gertrude below.)
- 1912 Miles City, Montana City Directory, residence 1205 Palmer (same address as ARTHUR I. BURBANK and family)
Children of DANIEL R. & LYDIA AGAN:
- JOHN, b. abt 1857-1859, Indiana (Found listed in the 1887, 1889, 1890 Chicago City Directories, occupation: printer)
- EDITH, b. abt 1859-1860, Indiana
- ELMER E., b. abt 1861-1862, Indiana (Found listed in the Chicago City Directory, 1887 – first name mis-spelled: Elma, living at 3449 Dearborn, same address as mother, Lydia; occupation: printer & 1889 Chicago City Directory)
- GERTRUDE (GERTIE), b. probably Nov. 1864, but in some census records, she or someone fibbed about her age, giving her a birth year of abt 1873, d. before 1930, probably in Washington state (Her husband ARTHUR I. BURBANK was listed as widowed in the 1930, Seattle, King Co., Washington census.) See more on GERTRUDE below.
- FRANKLIN (FRANK), b. abt 1867-1868, Indiana (Found listed in the Chicago City Directory, 1887, living at 3349 Dearborn, same address as mother, Lydia; occupation: printer)
- DANIEL R., b. abt 1873, Indiana (Found listed in the 1889 Chicago City Directory, as AGAN, DANIEL R., living at 448 1/2/ 37th Ct., same address as mother, Lydia, occupation: clerk; & listed in the 1890 Chicago City Directory, occupation: clerk)
AGAN, GERTRUDE (continued):
Note: She may have been married to someone with the surname FERGUSON prior to marrying a man named PALMER about 1884. See more below in the info on her children.
- 1887 Chicago City Directory, AGAN, MISS GERTRUDE, occupation: clerk; I can only guess she pretended to be single, without children, so she could be employed outside the home, as a means to support herself, her 3 fatherless children, and her mother Lydia. Her residential address in 1887 was 3349 Dearborn, Chicago, the same address as her mother.
- 1900 census, widowed, with widowed mother LYDIA AGAN living with her and her 3 children: UMNER, RUTH, & ESTER (that spelling0; Her married surname: PALMER; census record indicates she had been married for 16 years, est. marriage date to Unknown PALMER: 1884
- 1901, estimated year of marriage to ARTHUR I. BURBANK, based on 1910 census information, married 9 years [Note: I believe GERTRUDE AGAN PALMER met ARTHUR I. BURBANK while in Chicago, since he is listed in the Chicago, Cook Co. census.]
- 1910 census, married to ARTHUR I. BURBANK, druggist, and living at Miles City, Custer County, Montana with her widowed mother, LYDA (mis-spelling by the census taker) AGAN, with 4 children in the household (see list below)
- 1909 through 1914: 1909, 1912, and 1914 Miles City, Montana City Directories list her husband ARTHUR I. BURBANK, so it is assumed she and the children also lived there then as well.
- 1916, she and husband ARTHUR had moved to Seattle, King Co., Washington by this date; Info from the 1916 Seattle, Washington City Directory
- 1920, census record: GERTRUDE, husband ARTHUR I. BURBANK, and their daughter, EVA BURBANK are living at Antlers Resort (apparently a Summer resort hotel, operated by Arthur), Cushman Precinct, Mason Co., Washington
- 1925 listing in the Seattle, Washington City Directory, husband ARTHUR I. BURBANK and his wife, GERTRUDE
- 1930 census record: ARTHUR I. BURBANK is boarding at a residence and listed as widowed
Children of GERTRUDE AGAN and Unknown PALMER:
These are the 3 children listed in the 1900 census with her in Chicago, Illinois:
- UMNER PALMER (In the 1900 census record the Ancestry.com transcriber mis-transcribed his first name as: Mannie), b. Jul 1889, Illinois (possibly 16 Jul 1889)
- RUTH A. PALMER, b. Mar 1892, Illinois
- ESTER [ESTHER] PALMER, b. Apr 1895 or 12 Apr 1896
(See more about them below. Both UMNER and RUTH also went by the surname FERGUSON.)
Child of GERTRUDE AGAN and ARTHUR I. BURBANK:
- EVA L. BURBANK, b. about 1908, Montana (See more below)
More on the oldest 3 children of GERTRUDE AGAN:
- UMNER PALMER seems to have been also known as: UMNER FERGUSON (1910 census record living with mother GERTRUDE and step-father ARTHUR I. BURBANK in Miles City, Custer Co.. Montana.)
- He _may_ also have gone by: CLAUDE UMNER FERGUSON and CLAUDE U. FERGUSON. If CLAUDE UMNER FERGUSON and UMNER FERGUSON were one in the same person, I’m not sure if he was given the name Claude at birth/baptism or if he just chose it later in life because he didn’t want to be called Umner.
- He is listed as UMNER FERGUSON in the 1909 Miles City, Montana City Directory, where he is listed as working as a clerk for A. I. BURBANK and also boarding with him (his step-father.)
- He is listed as CLAUDE U. FERGUSON in the 1914 Miles City, Montana City Directory, where his occupation is listed as Clerk, with the County Clerk’s Office.
- His name is given as CLAUDE UMNER FERGUSON on his 1917 World War I Draft Registration record, living in Prairie Co., Montana.
- The 1920 census for Seattle, King Co., Washington lists a CLAUD U. FERGUSON, bookkeeper at a ship yard, living with his sister, ESTHER LUDWIG and her husband, HERBERT R. LUDWIG. (See the info below on ESTHER PALMER.)
- By 1923, he _may_ have relocated to California. There is a CLAUDE U. FERGUSON listed in Santa Barbara, Calif. City Directories for 1923, 1924, and 1927, with the occupation of bookkeeper for the Santa Barbara Motor Co.; and in the 1934 and 1935 Santa Barbara City Directories, with the occupation of bookkeeper for the H R Ludwig Co.; and in the 1936 Santa Barbara City Directory, with the occupation of bookkeeper, employer not listed. Plus, there is a CLAUDE U. FERGUSON, bookkeeper for A J Schoss Inc., listed in the 1942 San Francisco City Directory.
- The 1930 census for Santa Barbara, Calif. has a C UNNER FERGUSEON (I _think_ that is CLAUDE UMNER FERGUSON) living with brother-in-law HERBERT R. LUDWIG and Herbert’s wife ESTHER (“C UNNER’s sister), and gives his occupation as a bookkeeper for a garage.
- The 1940 census has a CLAUDE FERGUSON, age 50, listed as a guest at the Layne Hotel, 545 Jones Street, San Francisco, Calif. It indicates he lived in Santa Barbara, Calif. in 1935. His occupation is given as accountant for an auto dealership.
- There is a California death record and a Social Security Death Index record for a CLAUDE U. FERGUSON, Social Security # 559-07-4815, born 16 Jul 1889, Illinois, died 23 Apr 1975, Redwood City, San Mateo Co., Calif. The first 3 digits of that Social Security number, 559, indicates it was applied for and issued in California.
- RUTH A. PALMER also seems to have been known as RUTH FERGUSON and RUTH A. FERGUSON. (1910 census record living with mother GERTRUDE and step-father ARTHUR I. BURBANK in Miles City, Custer Co.. Montana gives her name as RUTH FERGUSON.)
- The 1909 Miles City, Montana City Directory lists a RUTH FERGUSON boarding with A I BURBANK, her step-father.
- The 1912 Miles City, Montana City Directory has a RUTH A. FERGUSON, occupation: clerk, [Custer] County Clerk’s Office, residing at 1205 Palmer, the same address as given in the city directory for her step-father, ARTHUR I. BURBANK.
- I haven’t found other records that I’m sure are for her after the 1912 date.
- ESTHER PALMER was also known as ESTHER BURBANK, while living in Miles City, Custer Co., Montana with her mother, GERTRUDE and step-father, ARTHUR I. BURBANK (1910 census record and 1914 Miles City, Montana City Directory, where she is listed as having the occupation of stenographer for a company named Tisor & McKinnon)
- 12 Jun 1917, married to HERBERT RICHARD LUDWIG, King County, Washington
- 1920 and 1930 census, living with husband and son, RICHARD (DICK) HENRY LUDWIG, along with her brother CLAUDE UMNER FERGUSON, in Santa Barbara, Calif.
- 1940 census, she, husband HERBERT and son, RICHARD, living in Seattle, King Co., Washington
- 16 Jul 1970, death, Santa Barbara, Calif.
More on EVA L. BURBANK, daughter of GERTRUDE AGAN PALMER and ARTHUR I. BURBANK:
- 1910 census, living with parents, step-siblings and maternal grandmother, LYDIA AGAN, at Miles City, Custer Co., Montana
- 1920 census, living with parents at Antlers Resort, managed by her father ARTHUR I. BURBANK, at Cushman Precinct, Mason Co., Washington. No other records found on her.
That’s it. I hope the info helps someone researching the Agan family, the related Palmer or Ferguson family, and the Burbank family, as listed here.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|