The following information was added to the forum:
Name: Charlene L. Nix
Subject: 8CHILDER&16JOHNSON SC>GA>AL>AR>MS>NC
Added on Date: 1/24/01
Message Number: 7086
Body of Message:
THESE JOHNSON AND CHILDERS FAMILIES have a TOTAL of 8 Childers and 16 Johnsons. Somehow they are related. The connection could be with Andrew and Jane Childers listed below.
This involves the states of AL, AR, GA, MS and SC. Any help would be appreciated.
I am trying to prove or disprove if the "1850 MS census" family and the "1860 AR census" family are one and the same. Be my guest to list and post this freely. I am trying to find the parents and relatives of Milton Joshua Childers (Joshua Milton, M.J.).
I think they might be his family.
at www. firstname.lastname@example.org
There are NO Childers in 1840 Choctaw Co, MS
1850 Mississippi Census, Choctaw County:
(last line of page 59B & first five lines of page 60A) [this is from a scanned image on-line, very difficult to
Childers, Andrew 29 AL Farmer
" , Jane 25, SC can't read or write
" , William 7?(age may be 5)MS
" , Milton 4 MS
" , David 3 MS
" , Jane 6/12 MS
Johnson, W. L., 50 m, farmer, $170, SC
Emelia, 39, f, SC, can't R/W
Daniel, 22, m, farmer, GA
David, 18, m, farmer, GA,
William, 16, m, farmer, AL,
Francis, 14, m, AL,
Susan, 11, f, AL
Tolaver, 8, m, AL,
John, 6, m, AL,
Sasahan? 4, f, MS
Mary, 2, f, MS
Edward, ??,m MS
Hannah, ??, f, MS
Maryann, 24?, f, SC
?Sarah? 4/12, f, MS
[they live right next door to Andrew Childers, but NO Jesse L. Johnson listed listed]
MILTON JOSHUA CHILDERS MUSTERED OUT OF WARREN, BRADLEY CO., ARKANSAS FOR THE CIVIL WAR IN 1861-63. THE FAMILY BELOW WAS FOUND IN BRADLEY CO. , ARK.
Jesse Johnson also mustered out of Bradley county but I do not know how he is related.
There are no Childers listed in the 1850 Census for Bradley County.
IN 1860 ANDREW AND WILLIAM ARE GONE AND JESSE L. JOHNSON FROM SC. APPEARS.
1860 lookup Washington Township--Hermitage, Bradley Co. Arkansas
782-782 Childers, Jane E. 32 Farmer SC
Johnson, Jesse L. 23 SC
Childers, David 15 MS
, Milton 14 MS
, Daniel 12 MS
, Jane 10 MS
, Joseph 8 MS
, Lydia 7 MS
I received my GG Grandfather's Military record, death certificate and pension applications all in Dec. 2000. Milton Joshua Childers death certificate states that his parents were Andrew and Jane Childers.
MY "SHOT IN THE DARK" ideas or questions:
1. the 1850 Choctaw, MS family went to Bradley Co, AR. in 1860.
2.Did Andrew meet Jane in Alabama, SC, MS, or GA?
3. Could Jesse L. Johnson be a brother or uncle helping "WIDOW?" Jane with the farm?
4. Andrew died or divorced or took a long vacation..........since he is not listed as the head of the house.
5. if he died or left -it was between 1853 (after Lydia's birth) and 1860.
6. Was Jane a Johnson before she married?
HERE IS WHAT I DO KNOW ABOUT MY FAMILY:
Descendants of Andrew Childers Generation No. 1
1. ANDREW1 CHILDERS was born Bet. 1820 - 1825 in Mississippi, and died Bet. 1853 - 1860 in ?. He married JANE Bet. 1840 - 1841 in unknown.
The proven facts that I have about Andrew and Milton Joshua Childers
1. Andrew had a son named Milton Joshua Childers
2. Andrew and Milton Joshua both had a wife named Jane
3. Milton Joshua (Joshua Milton) mustered out of Warren, Bradley Co. Ark. between 1861-1863.
4. April 1865 at the end of the Civil War Milton Joshua married Jane Sellers, Smithfield, NC.
Milton Joshua Childers death certificate states that his father is Andrew Childers. It also states that his mother is Jane Childers. This is the only placed I have names recorded as his parents. Several census state they were from MS. We do not know the names of any of his siblings. I am trying to find out if the above connect. I think they do. Can anyone help me?
Child of ANDREW CHILDERS and JANE is:
2. i. MILTON JOSHUA2 CHILDERS, b. December 26, 1843, MS -not proven; d. January 9, 1924, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co).
Generation No. 2
2. MILTON JOSHUA2 CHILDERS (ANDREW1) was born December 26, 1843 in MS -not proven, and died January 9, 1924 in Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co). He married JANE ANNE SELLERS April 28, 1865 in NC (Johnston Co), daughter of ALSEY SELLERS and CYNTHIA MILLINER. She was born March 1847 in Selma, NC (Johnston Co), and died 1934 in Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co).
Children of MILTON CHILDERS and JANE SELLERS are:
i. DAVID WILLIAM3 CHILDERS, b. 1867, NC (Johnston Co) Not proven; d. February 17, 1891, AR -place unknown.
Dora Lee Childers told V.J. Childres Nix that he died and was buried in Arkansas.
ii. FANNIE J. CHILDERS, b. June 3, 1868, NC (Johnston Co); d. December 9, 1926, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co); m. REUBEN2 WILKERSON, September 4, 1883, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co); b. September 1857, NC (Johnston Co); d. Aft. 1923, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co).
iii. MARY CHILDERS, b. October 1871, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co); d. November 1871, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co).
Jane Sellers Childers had a black and gold memorial poster made. It is in the possession of Virginia Jane Nix Childres. Mary died Nov. 1871 - age 1 month 7 days
iv. EDWARD WALTER CHILDERS, b. October 29, 1871, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co)1; d. October 27, 1966, NC (Johnston Co); m. HETTIE VIRGINIA1, Abt. 1895, NC (Johnston Co); b. November 3, 1879; d. October 13, 1945, NC (Johnston Co).
v. ROSA L. CHILDERS2, b. April 1874, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co); d. Unknown; m. GEORGE LEE2, September 3, 1895, Smithfield NC (Johnston Co)2; b. 1874, NC (Johnston Co); d. Unknown.
vi. GEORGE H. CHILDERS, b. September 1877, Smithfield , NC (Johnston Co); m. ALICE NARRON PENDERGRAFT; b. Abt. 1895.
Notes for GEORGE H. CHILDERS:
living with uncle Alexander Sellers as a boarder
in house # 186
vii. BETTY JANE CHILDERS, b. January 8, 1879, Smithfield , NC (Johnston Co); d. March 5, 1961, Selma, NC (Johnston Co); m. COLLINS, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co); b. Abt. 1875, ?; d. Unknown, ?.
Notes for BETTY JANE CHILDERS:
Census states they had 10 children.
viii. DORA LEE CHILDERS, b. May 7, 1883, Selma, NC (Johnston Co); d. December 10, 1965, Chapel Hill, NC; m. (2) GEORGE DAUGHTERY.
ix. AULCIE DANIEL CHILDERS, b. May 7, 1886, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co); d. January 18, 1968, Four Oaks, NC (Johnston Co); m. CARIE LESSIE MITCHELL, NC (Johnston Co); b. March 25, 1887, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co); d. September 1978, Four Oaks, NC (Johnston Co).
x. JOSEPH CARL CHILDERS, b. August 8, 1890, Smithfield, NC (Johnston Co); d. January 30, 1943, Smithfield , NC (Johnston Co); m. RINDIE NARRON; b. July 14, 1896, Smithfield , NC (Johnston Co); d. February 4, 1964, Smithfield , NC (Johnston Co).
1. Johnston Co., NC Marriage books 1-2 and Cem. books 1-7.
2. Jane Childres Nix and Virginia Louise P. Childres family history notes
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|