Searching for relatives of MORCH. This name was taken by my grandfather when he came to America. It was a farm name in Norway. His dads name was Hagbarth KRISTOFFERSON/pherson/CHRISTOPHERSON/ffersen.
Hagbarths brother HANS #1, went by the last name MORK. He married the sister of Hans Tollson(father of Henry Tollson). Hans was born 11 March 1852 Bakkesatra,the garden,Mehren,Lier,Norway. He was a stationmaster in Lier/Drammen/Norway. He had 2 sons that we know of: Einar Mork 1878 - ? , and Hans Mork(held high position in the Hotel Viking in Oslo at the time this information was given).
Next brother #2 EDVARD born 29 Aug.1854 at Pladson Tilleslokken,Garden Sjaastad,Lier,Norway died real young.
#3 brother: GUNERIUS b. 22 Sept.1856 Pladson Tilleslokken,Garden Sjaastad,Lier,Norway, same as #2 son. He died age 97. He had a daughter named Magda who married Carl Erickson. She would visit us when we were very young on the farm SE Luana,Iowa. We remembered her by the "ya da" and na na na na -Norweigan for yes and no. Magda ran a hat shop. Gunerius' grandson: Einar Hammer Christofferson was a waiter on Stavangerfjord or Oslofjord at one time.
Then was born my greatgrandfather #4 HAGBART/H on 19 Nov. 1858 same as #2 (and/or Horton, Norway another source). He died 27 March 1931. He was married to Gustava Helene F. Pedersen(1868-1920 Norway).
They were married on 13 May 1884. Their children were: Karen,Rugnhild,ASBJORN (BEN took last name MORCH,OSCAR (took last name MORCH),Astrid,Eli,Helen,Mozart,and Cristoffer. OSCAR
being my grandfather who came to America when he was 18-19.
#5 child: ANNETTE born: 28 Jan. 1861 born same place as #2. also died young.
GORGEN(GEORGE)#6,was born: 20 April 1863 same plade. His son VICTOR B. CHRISTOHERSON married Hildegard Schwindt. His daughter was named Alma. He went to Alpena,Michigan,USA.
Another Daughter makes #7. KAREN MATHEA(her relatives called her Aunt Thea).She was born on the 27th of March 1870, same place again. She married a Christensen. Their children were: Martha Hagen(lived Ovrestorgt,82,Drammen,the others lived Lier,Norway);Robert,Emil,Irene,Einar,Kaspara,Kristoffer(?),and Olaf.
#8 was named EDVARD(maybe after the other brother that died). Born 12 Aug.1872.
PARENTS OF THESE WERE: CHRISTOFFER ELLENSEN AND MARTHE/MARTE HANSDATTER
(Marriage Record International Genealogical Index 3.02-Norway.
CHRISTOFFER ELLENSEN was born 12 June 1828.
MARTHE born: 11 May 1827 and died 3 May 1873 age 46 before the last child was a year old. They were married 22 Feb.1852 at Lier,Buskerud,Norway.
Born: 22 April 1892 Horton,Lier,Norway
Christened: 26 June 1892 Lutheran Church
Confirmed: 7 April 1907 Pastor Bugge
Married: 8 Dec. 1941 St. Pauls Lutheran Church, Postville,Allamakee Co.,Iowa
(One Newspaper obituary states 21 Jan.1919 Marriage).
Died: 18 Oct. 1964 at home(age 72yrs,5mo., 22dys.)
Parents: Hagbart/h Kristoffersen/Christophersen and Gustava Helene F. Pedersen.
Other marriage: Betty Muesser 14 June 1958(no children).
WIFES NAME: SENDA BERTHA GERICKE(brothers William,Fred,Henry, & sister Bertha M.|Wendel Wagner.)
Born: 22 May 1893
Christened: 27 Aug.1893
Confirmed: 12 April 1908 Rev.R.Kuhne
Died: 1 Sept.1953 (Newspaper obit: 29 Aug.1953).
Parents: Johanne Gericke and Maria Geborn Klinge. She was preceded in death by her parents, three brothers, William, Fred and Henry Gericke and one sister (Bertha)Mrs. Wendel Wagner. Asbjorn(Ben) and Senda made their home on a farm northeast of Postville,Iowa until 1945 when they moved into town. She was a life-long member of St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Chruch of Postville, and a member of the Women of the Church group.
CHILDREN OF BEN AND SENDA:
1.JELEEN born 4 Oct. 1919 married Millard Bilden. Children: Sandra,Dianne,Peter,Dale,Jane,Don & Dean,Zelda.
2. LEO born 27 July 1921 married Marvel Maxine Deorring. Children: Marcine to Roger Nelson of McGregor,Iowa, Beverly to Leslie E. Skersick of Arizona, and Patricia to Roger Timp - Decorah(son of Vendolin Timp).
3. ROSEMARIE born 3 Nov.1923 married Walter Foels(Decorah) and died 18 June 1956(33yrs.old).
4. HERBERT born 12 May 1933. Graduate of the University of Iowa. Primary flying school (civilian contract)2/Lt at Malden,Missouri. Continued training at Webb AFB(BigSpring,Texas)flying the R-33 jet single engine aircraft & pursued the usual academic courses in connection with his flying. Upon granduation from this basic school the lieutenant received the silver wings of an Air Force pilot. With a Degree in Electrical Engineering he was so at the Naval Air Missle Test Center,Point Mugu,California prior to his going into the flying training program.
HERBERT MORCH married JANE STOVER(of Beloit,Kansas) on 30 Sept.1960.
Their chlidren are:
A. ELIZABETH ANN MORCH born 11 June 1961 Topeka,Ks. Married Greg Welch 10 Oct.1981. Have children: Brian born 25 Oct.1982, and Michael born 3 June 1988 Alexandra,La.
B. BRENDA MARIE MORCH born 14 Sept.1962 Topeka,Ks. Married 28 Dec.1989 to Charles Thomas(born 31 Dec.1959).
Children: John Paul Thomas b.19 April 1994.
C. MICHAEL JOSEPH MORCH born 12 March 1965 Waco,Tx. Married 19 May 1989 to Lesa Shaffer(born 31 Dec.1967).
ASBJORN(BEN)MORCH received his education in the public school in Horton,Norway, and accepted a position with the Government Telegraph and Telephone Station on June 1,1907, working in that position until February 28,1909.
He sailed for America on March 12,1909, at the age of 16 years on a ship named HOLY OLAF. Two persons said it cost his dad $100 or more.
He landed in America on March 24, 1909 and continued his journey to Elgin,Iowa to the Ole Peterson Farm, where he engaged in farm work. He became a naturalized citizen in Clayton county on April 2, 1918.
On July 26,1918 he entered the Armed Forces(World War)of the United States. He received his training at Camp Gordon,Georgia. First as Corporal then attained the rank of Sergeant. He received his honorable discharge on January 9,1919.
He was united in marriage to Senda Gericke on January 21,1919. The couple made their home on the Lybrand farm, and the following year moved to a farm in Franklin township, where they lived until January 5,1945 when they retired and moved to town. To this union were born two daughters and two sons.
He was united in marriage to Betty Musser of Chicago,Illinois on June 14, 1958.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his first wife, Senda Gericke Morch; one daughter, Rosemarie, Mrs. Walter Foels of Decorah; three brothers: Mozart Christoffersen of Horton, Norway; Christoffer Morch of Oslo, Norway; and Oscar Morch of Luana, Iowa; and two sisters: Helen, Mrs. John Erickson of Oslo, Norway; and Mrs. Astrid Falkenberg of Horton, Norway.
He was survived by his second wife, Betty Musser Morch; one daughter, Jeleen, Mrs. Millard Bilden on Clermont,Iowa; two sons, Leo Morch of Postville, Iowa; and Herbert Morch of Waco, Texas; three sisters, Ragnhild, Mrs. LeRoy Bird of Mt. Vernon, New York; Karen, Mrs. Karsten Grambo of Richfiled Park, New Jersey; and Eli, Mrs. Kvarne Nielsen of Horton Norway; 17 grandchildren and many other relatives and friends.
He was an active member of St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Postville, Iowa for more than 45 years. He was also a member of The American Legion.
Funeral Services were held at St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Postville, Iowa on Tuesday October 20, at 3:00 p.m. Interment was in the Postville Cemetery with the Rev. Charles E. Witt, pastor, officiating.
OSCAR MORCH: b. 29 May 1888 Horton,Norway and died: 27 March 1956 Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin hospital(living Clayton Co.,Iowa at the time owned farm).
Came to America from Noway when 18-19.
Married: 27 Oct.1913 Monona,Iowa to Cora Elizabeth Sheppard(some Shepperd). She was born: 4 April 1893 clayton Co.,Iowa and died: 30 June 1964 Prairie du Chien Hospital,Wisconsin(living on farm at the time). Both are buried: Gooding Cem.,Wagner Twp.,Clayton Co.,Iowa.
OSCAR & CORA had 2 children: Delmar & Clara.
Oscars other brothers and sisters were:
1. CHRISTOPHER: b. 29 May 1888(another source is 27 July 1884 probably right) Oslo,Norway
d. 20 April 1938. He was a carpenter.
2. MOZART: b. 1 Feb.1886 Horton Norway died in 1961. Bur: Horten Cem.,Norway. He married ALFHILD (1898-1962). He ran a Beauty Shop and was in the NAVY band with his father Hagbart/h.
3. OSCAR: (My grandfather at the beginning of this posting). He worked in a meat market in Oslo,Norway. At age 18 he departed from Horten April 19, 1907 and came to the U.S. on a ship OSCAR II. He then dropped the name Christoffersen and was known as Oscar Morch. He won many medals and ribbons while in Norway. He was a great athlete; he belonged to a young folks group. He was a great skier, fisherman, swimmer,violinist, and wood carver. He made willow whistles, fams,spoons and knives from wood--often for his grandchildren. He also played the banjo, spoons, and juice harp. He taught his grandson, Arlis White(RR St.Olaf,Iowa) to walk on his hands(he can still do this and yodel). Oscar was in a swim race off the old Clermont bridge below the dam. He gave others a head start, them he jumped off in his bib overalls and won the race. To his son, daughter and grandchildren Oscar was known as "Pa".
4. RAGNHILD: b. 17 May 1890 d. 1971 She married: LeRoy Bird, from Mt.Vernon.N.Y.
5. ASBJORN (BEN): b. 22 April 1892
died: 18 Oct.1964. He married SENDA GERICKE on 21 Jan 1919. He also took the name MORCH
when coming to America. Ben later in life married: BETTY MUESSER on June 14,1958.
(I have another date amongst all this 8 Dec. 1941-not knowing where it is supposed to go).
Children: Jeleen,Leo,Herbert, and Rosemarie MORCH. Son LEO MORCH married MAXINE DOERRING. Leo & Maxine's children: Marcine Bernadine MORCH, Beverly Eunice MORCH, Patricia Jeleen Rose MORCH.
6. HELENE born 21 June 1894 and died 1963 married JOHN ERICKSON.
7. ASTRID born 20 Sept.1896 and died 19 Jan.1947 married a Mr. Falkenburg.
8, KAREN born 8 Sept 1898 died 6 Dec. 1991 (age 93)was married to KARSTEN GRAMBO of Ridgefield or Richfield Park,N.J.
9. ELI (pronounced A-lee)(I think this a very beautiful name). Eli was born 5 Sept.1900 and died 9 Dec.1991 (age 91). Her husband being KVARNE NIELSEN (son of LEIF NIELSEN of Oslo,Norway,his wife sewed for King Olav's wife. Inger Nielsens' sister to Leif never married. Karin Melby also first cousin of Leif and Inger,also from Oslo,Norway had a NAVY husband)from Horton,Norway.
Karen Kristoffersen left Horten,Norway in 1929, came back in 1965 the same year Eli retired. Karens' husband from Horten came back for a visit with Sons of Norway for 3 weeks and lived in Norway 1 year, but they went back to U.S. Eli and husband visited them several times. Karen was 90 in 1988 in Good Samartian Center in N.Y....per Eli in 1990.
THEIR PARENTS; HAGBARTH KRISTOFFERSEN(as he wrote it on his marriage record) and GUSTAVA HELENE F. PEDERSEN. He was born 19 Nov.1858 and Died 27 March 1931. Hagbart was born on a farm called MORCH, which means dark,mercury. Hagbart was in the NAVY BAND which toured countries World Wide. They were married: 13 May 1884 Horten,Vestfold Co.,Norway.
GUSTAVA was born 19 Aug.1868 at Skopaam,Norway on a farm called 'SOLBERG'(daughter of Lena Solberg and Mr. Pedersen/on). She died 3 Nov.1920. Hagbart & Gustava are buried in Horton Cem.,Norway. Great grandson Harlan White of Postville,Iowa visited them in Horton,Norway while he was in US Services in Germany.
LENA SOLBERG was born 1837 in Norway(Horton?)and died 1924. She was a nurse, also a wonderful cook and supervised large parties.
I have a copy of the Certificate of Citizenship in the County of Alpena,MIchigan on GEORGE CHRISTOFFERSON.
I have at one time printed off this marriage license and would give a copy to the first person who would like it:
SOELBERG, Karen Helene
Spouse: Peder PEDERSEN
7 Aug 1840
Domkirken, Oslo, Akershus, Norway
You could go the the Surnames Christophersen and Kristofferson)(or however they were spelled)and look at postings because there are 2 different spellings on the list,and maybe find more or tie in.
Oscar Morch and Cora Elizabeth Sheppard were united in marriage Oct. 27,1913 at Monona by the Rev. E.G. Glaeser. They lived four years at Hamilton, North Dakota, 23 years near Cresco, Iowa, and the last 14 years on a farm south of Luana,Iowa.
He leaves to mourn his death, one son: Delmar of Des Moines,Iowa; one daughter: Clara, Mrs. Russell White of Cresco,Iowa; 11 grand children; two brothers: Asbjorn Morch of Postville,Iowa; and Mozart of Horten, Norway; four sisters: Ragnhild, Mrs. LeRoy Bird of Mt. Vernon, New York; Karen, Mrs. Karsten Grambo of Ridgefield Park,New Jersey;
Helen, Mrs. Ericksen; and Eli, Mrs. Neilson of Horten,Norway. He was preceded in death by his parents, another brother: Christoffer, and another sister, Astrid, Mrs. Falkenberg.
Funeral Services were held at 2:00 o'clock Friday afternoon, March 30,1956, at the Norway Lutheran Church with the Rev. S.J.Strandjord officiating. Burial was in the Gooding Cemetery, Wagner Twp.,Clayton Co.,Iowa.
Oscars' wife, Cora Elizabeth (Sheppard)Morch is buried in the Gooding Cememtery next to her husband.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|