I hope this helps!
Will 85mo, 129, probate May 1765
Joseph Morgan Will:
To my son Joseph Morgan all my land after my decease and my wife's (name not given) decease and to my sd son also all my cattle and hogs and all my moveable estate
to my sons William, Arnold, Sampson, Aaron and Timothy Morgan and my daughter Mary Toler one shilling and three pense each.
Extra: my son Joseph Morgan
Wits: John Jones, Sarah Joiner X her mark, Henry Johnson Probate refe rs to witness as Sarah Jones
Joseph Morgan died ca 1792 in 1773 29 Sep Age: 28 Joseph Morgan of Province of Md 200 acres on N bank Tar River on Gum Swamp from John White of Edge. Deed Bk 2 74 Wit.Th & Alex. Cromwall of Tar River
Children of Joseph Morgan of Edgecombe Co NC marriages 1st Sarah, 2nd Mary Jelk Atkinson
1. Mary MORGAN ca 1762 married Drury SPELL, given slave 1779 witnessed by John Spell (Drury's father) 1762-Sep.4-Joseph purchased 100 acres on the south bank of White Oak Swamp at the mouth of Cabin Branch in Edgecombe County -sold this land without a dower release on 19 April -either his wife had just died or he was still unmarried. Mary was born just before that or after a marriage which follows. 12 October 1774 . Joseph and his wife Sarah sold 300 acres of their land to Jonas Shivers (Chavis?)
2. "Nancy" Ann MORGAN 1767 m. Ezekiel Causey and Levin/Leavin Causey Levin Causey's estate record says//Account received from a 1/5 part of the balance due from Mary Morgan Admrx. to the estate of Joseph Morgan Decd Aug Ct 1785. Joseph Will list four sons, one dtr Ann. Second will list only three sons, and step mother as 5th part. From Kinfolk of Edgecombe Cash was received from Mary Morgan adm. Div. of money among Mary Morgan, Anne Casway, John Morgan, Jo Morgan, Aug Court 1794.I show in my notes of Ezekiel Causey--"another, Ezekiel married Ann Morgan dtr of Joseph." I am not sure of the dates or location here.
3. James MORGAN 1770 made admist of his father will 1792) The Jas. may been Jos?
4. Joseph MORGAN 1772
5. John MORGAN 1776- in 1792 Aug. Term Court. John Morgan chose brother Joseph as guardian. (He may have reaches his majority by 1794 when he sold land "according to will of Joseph Morgan."
Joseph married 2nd Mary Jelk, widow Atkinson, 1779-1780 probably after the children's mother died. From Becky Oct. 2000 Joseph Morgan married 1780 Mary Jelks. #1 was m. John Atkinson 1774 Northampton Va. After Joseph Morgan's death, Mary remarried to David Hathaway: 1792 Petition May (614) for dower by David Hathaway and wife Mary, formerly widow of dec'd Joseph Morgan, stating deceased died possessed of 410 A composed of sepaerate titles, all on or near Tar River. Notice given to Joseph, John and David Morgan, all heirs of dec'd. Year's privision alloted the widow . (no date.)
6. David MORGAN b ca 1780 no knowledge- "to David, tract running from old river landing to great putlick road. Sein place to David and Robert; Robert, tract adj. David's having houses etc. on it (whereupon I live) "
7. Robert MORGAN b. ca 1784 died as a child before 1792
his father married Mary Atkinson 1779-1780 probably after the children's mother died
1. Joseph MORGAN got "all my land after my decease and my wife's (name not given) decease and to my sd son also all my cattle and hogs and all my moveable estate"
2. William MORGAN got one shilling and three pense
1794 Nov. 10 William Morgan will Edgecombe--probated Feb. Court 1795. Names sons William and John, dtr. Martha Price and Kiddy Jones and grandson David. Edgecombe NC Wills November 10, 1794-1795 William gives all land to son William Morgan and gr. son David Morgan gets mare and stock. (Is this the William who first appears 1763 records wife Sarah died prior to will)
3. Arnold got one shilling and three pense
4. Sampson got one shilling and three pense
5. Aaron got one shilling and three pense
6. Timothy Morgan got one shilling and three pense
7. Mary Toler got one shilling and three pense
Was this also a brother to James???1727/26 Oct 22-Nov 1730 Pasquotank Precinct NC:
ROBERT MORGAN will: sons Bennet, Joseph, Robert, Moses (a plantation to each), Aaron. Daughters Allis, Elizabeth, Ann, and Juda. Wife Elizabeth
Exec: sons Bennett and Joseph Morgan.
Wit: Abel Ross, Tamar Ross, Jeruas Jones, James Adams. Proven before Richard Everard.
1762-Sep.4-purchased 100 acres on the south bank of White Oak Swamp at the mouth of Cabin Branch in Edgecombe County -sold this land without a dower release on 19 April 1762
Here is what I have on Joseph Morgan and keep in mind there are 2 Joseph Morgan's and I am not sure which is which yet! Doug you could be right about that being our James Morgan who came over in 1724 on that ship to MD. The time line does fit.
Joseph Morgan will
1773 Sep. 29 Joseph Morgan of Province of Maryland 200 acres of land on N
bank Tar River on Gum Swamp from John White of Edgecombe Co NC. Deed Bk.
2 pg. 74 Wit. Thomas & Alexander Cromwell on Tar River
1775 Deed. Bk. 2 Pg. 14 Joseph bought land from Miles Hodges & wife Tar Rvr.
1775 Deed Bk. 3 pg. 44 He bought another piece of land from Hodge Tar River
1777 Joseph bought land from Teagle Taylor and wife. Deed Bk. 3 Pg. 194 "
1779 Deed Bk. 3 pg. 400 Joseph got a Grant from State of NC
1779 Jul. 24 137-455 Joseph Morgan of Edgecombe to his dtr. Mary Spell 24 Jul Deed Bk. 3 p 455 negro girl slave.
Wit. Noah Sugg, Joseph Morgan 24 Aug.
1779 Deed of gift. Negro girl Rachel. Wit. Noah Sugg, John Spell
1779 Aug. 24 Deed 137-455 John Spell of Edgecombe Co to son Drury Spell. Deed of Gift
and #1. 200 acres where I now live, also one mare and colt, 31 cattle. Wit. Noah Sugg,
Joseph Morgan. From PicesAngel28@aol.com Oct.2000. Becki.
1787 21 Nov 223-630 Edgecombe Co NC Deed Bk. 4 Articles of agreement between Joseph
Morgan planter of Edgecombe Co and Mary x Morgan alias Atkinson. Sd. Joseph Morgan in
1780 married sd. Mary and it was unknown at the time that the former husband John Atkinson
was alive nor is yet Known to Either of them only by report which is uncertain. After SC John
Atkinson had married Mary Jelks sd Atkinson carried on a crimenial comerce with Courtney Ferrill and that sd Mary
was to seek elsewhere for maintenance. Thus this agreement between sd Joseph and sd Mary that they shall live
together as Man and wife, that she shal have the priveleges of a wife, that should sd Joseph predecease her, she
should have the land where sd Joseph lives during her life or widowhood, and also the use of the Negro wench
Ann, girl Fan, girl Moll, boy Ben and other person shall have rights to the sd negroes or movable property; after sd
Mary's death, all such property shall fall to the children of sd Joseph Morgan (A note indicates that the money due
Mary from her brother is excepted. Wit. Noah Sugg, John Dawson Jan. Ct. 1788 Joseph Atkinson his heirs and
assigns and all and every other person etc. were not to have any right to anything of his after his death. Witness
Noah Sugg, John Dawson,
1790,Jul. 5, all land and personal property during widowhood (Mary Morgan, Mary Atkinson?)
Personal to be divided between 4 sons David and Robert to live with Mother until maturity, to
have three years of schooling.
Sons: David, tract running from old river landing to great putlick road. Sein place to David and
Robert; Robert, tract adj. David's having houses etc. on it (whereupon I live) Joseph, all money
and interest due me, including Bond for $316 2/3 by John Lawrence- John, Ann Causey, 10 S at
death of wife, 1 negro to be freed. Ext. Capt Irwin Toole, Solomon Sessums, Wit: Noah Sugg,
Noah Sugg Jr. William Key. Not probated
1791,Mar 5- May 5, Nov Ct 1792 Wife Mary formerly called Mary Atkinson, lend plantation where I now live with all negroes. Son Joseph Morgan, plantation lately agreed with David Sutherland,son John Morgan half my land after my wife's widowhood, beginning at the river landing to the main road. Son David Morgan, the other half of my land beginning at the same river landing and running to road, after my wife's widowhood. At my wife's death, all property shall be devided between my children Joseph Morgan dtr. Ann Causey, John Morgan and David Morgan. Negro Charles may be sold for debts if necessary. Negro Amie may be set free and given 10 acres. Esecs. Friends Solomon Sessums, Esp.and Capt. John White Wit. Southerland, Ezekiel Causey, Benjamin Small. Exrs. refused to qualify, Joseph Morgan Admt. Will very illegible. 8-21-67, 11-24-67
Deed Bk. 4 pg. 630 Edgecombe..Joseph and Mary agreed that they would live as husband and wife even though
they had heard from someone that her first husband was still alive.
1792? Aug. Term Court. John Morgan chose brother Joseph as guardian. (He may have reaches his majority by 1794
when he sold land "according to will of Joseph Morgan."
1792 Petition May (614) for dower by David Hathaway and wife Mary, formerly widow of dec'd Joseph Morgan,
stating deceased died possessed of 410 A composed of seperate titles, all on or near Tar River. Notice given to
Joseph, John and David Morgan, all heirs of dec'd. Year's privision alloted the widow . (no date.) No Hathaway's
listed in Edge 1800 no record of provision being allotted widow and dower. From PicesAngel28@aol.com Oct.
(Added to by Lucille Morgan Reebec Macon Ms. 39341 ReevesLureeves@aol.com
1792 Levin Causey joined with 4 others to make bond for Jos. Morgan when James was made adm. of his Father's
will. Deed Bk. 4 Edgecombe..Joseph and Mary agreed that they would live as husband and wife even though they
had heard from someone that her first husband was still alive.
If Paul's DNA is a match I will add him to our story, and The Edgecombe Hertiage Book has been delayed until April.
That is all I have on this family
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|