For better understanding of our roots in Montenegro we have to know that families in Montenegro are classified into clans. And that is important for our research as much as family feast. Clans are specific of Montenegro and you can't find them in other regions of former Yugoslavia or in other parts of Serb Orthodox population. Also this classification together with some links on the end of my text will give you better knowledge of Montenegro geography and history. I hope that you will find my text useful and interesting.
Jovan Cvijich, the greatest Serb ethnologist and geographer, has divided clans, within the borders of Montenegro, into two groups: the clans of Old Montenegro and the clans of Rashka.
- The first group are the clans settled in old, historical Montenegro. The Old Montenegro is divided into four regions called "nahija".
- The second group are the clans of Highlands and Herzegovina, the territories of today's Montenegro, which were mainly the parts of Serb medieval state of Rashka.
- As third group are the Clans of Seashore, the territories of today's Montenegro, southern of Boka Kotorska.
Each Clan consists of brotherhoods and villages. Names of some of them are like family names: Boljevichi - BOLJEVICH (family name).
The Clans of Old Montenegro
As it is said, Old Montenegro is divided into four regions (nahija): Katunska (A), Ljeshanska (B), Rijechka (C) and Crmnichka (D).
A. Katunska nahija has nine clans:
- CETINJE, including following brotherhoods: Bajice; Donji Kraj; Gnjijevin Do; Jabuka; Bjeloshi; Ochinichi; Ugne.
- NJEGUSHI: Dugi Do; Herakovichi ili Erakovichi; Velji Kraj; Kopito; Vrba; Rajichevichi; Velji Zalaz; Mali Zalaz; Zhanjev Do; Mirac; Majstori.
- CHEKLICHI: Kuchishta; Vuchi Do; Krajnji Do or Pod-Bukovica; Vojkovichi; Milijevichi; Petrov Do; Dragomi-do; Jezer.
- BJELICE: Dub; Predish; Ljeshev Stup; Maloshin Do; Ublice; Dide; Tomichi; Mikulichi.
1-Velje(big) Cuce: Zaljut; Grepcha; Tresnjevacka opstina.
2-Male(little) Cuce: Trnjine; Rovine; Pretin Do or Prentin Do; Vrljerog; Kobilji Do.
- OZRINICHI: Kchevo; Donji Kraj; Ozhegovichi; Ubli; Poljane; Lastva; Velestovo; Markovina; Zagreda.
1-Gornji(upper) Pjeshivci: Stubica; Povija; Cerovo.
2-Donji(lower) Pjeshivci: Drenovshtica; Milojevichi; Vitasovichi; Bogmilovichi; Zagorak; Selishta; Do.
1-Gornji(upper) Zagarch: Mijogosht; Mushterovichi; Djurichkovichi.
2-Donji(lower) Zagarach or Jednoshe or Jednoshko Polje: Povrpoljina or Povrpolje; Osoje; Prisoje; Podnodoljina or Podnopolje.
1-Bandichi: Djedjeza; Mokanje; Milate "Bandichke"; Zhupa Bandichka; Mugoshina Livada or Livada.
2-Komani: Milate "Komanske"; Dolovi; Zeleni Dolovi; Crvena Paprat; Zhupa Bezdanska; Baloche; Orahovica; Chava or Chafa.
B. Ljeshanska nahija, can be counted as one clan so-called Ljeshljani, but in the incomplete creation of clans can be divided on three "clans":
- DRAZHEVINA, GRADAC and BURONJE;
- and many others brotherhoods and villages: Orasi; Shtitari; Releza; Chepetichi; Progonovichi; Staniseljichi; Gradac; Parci; Zhupa Gradachka; Gornji Kokoti with Lekichi; Farmaci or Varmaci; Steke or Steci; Kruse; Beri.
C. Rijechka nahija has five clans:
- DOBRSKO SELO
D. Crmnichka nahija can be divided into:
- PODGOR: Utrg; Ovtochichi or Optochichi; Orahovo; Krushevica; Bracheni.
- DUPILO: Dupilo; Papratnica; Trnovo.
- BRCHELI: Gornji Brceli; Donji Brceli; Tomici; Brijege.
- SOTONICHI: Sotonichi; Machuge.
- GLUHI DO: Gluhi Do; Bukovik.
- BOLJEVICHI: Boljevichi; Godinje; Vir.
The Clans of Highlands and Herzegovina
The clans of "seven Hills", or Highlands, are:
BJELOPAVLICHI, PIPERI, BRATONOZHICH, KUCHI ROVCI, MORACHA and VASOJEVICHI.
The clans of Herzegovina are spreading on territories of today's Montenegro and Republic of Srpska. There is no reason for not listing them together:
DROBNJACI (with Jezera), USKOCI, PIVA, SHARANCI, NIKSHICHI, BANJANI, GRAHOVO, KRIVOSHIJE, TREBJESHANI, BILECHA, GACKO, LJUBIBRATICHI, ZUPCI, RUDINJANI, PRIJEDOJEVICHI and MALESHEVCI.
The Clans of Seashore
The Clans of Seashore are: GRBLJI and PASHTROVICHI.
And finally one region (north coast of Skadarsko Lake) named ZETA is old conglomerate of families from all Montenegro.
Much more abouth Montenegro and families from Montenegro you can find on following sites:
http://members.tripod.com/~crnagora/istorijske_mape.htm (historical maps)
http://members.tripod.com/~crnagora/prezimena.htm (family names of Montenegro)
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|