I'm searching for information about my 3G-grandfather, Wilson Salmon, and his family. What is known about him so far:
1. Wilson was born around 1822 in Mercer Co KY, the son of James Salmon and probably Frances Nightingale. He had at least 5 siblings:
a. Margaret (b. ca. 1814 KY) m. William Dye
b. Thomas (b. ca. 1815 KY) m. Margaret (unknown surname)
c. Rose Ann (b. ca. 1817 KY)
d. Eli (b. 1826 KY) m. Dorsey (?) (unknown surname)
e. Lewis (b. ca. 1829)
2. Wilson married Dorcas Christerson (or Christison) on 19 Nov 1844 in Mercer Co KY. Her parents are unknown.
3. Wilson and Dorcas had at least 3 children:
a. William Smith (b. 4 Dec 1845, Mercer Co KY) m. Eliza Ann Westfelt
b. Lavina (b. 5 Nov 1847, Mercer Co KY) m. Amos Moreland
c. James M. (b. ca. May 1850, Mercer Co KY)
4. Dorcas apparently died sometime before 1858, and Wilson moved from Mercer Co KY to Martin Co IN, as Wilson remarried on 23 Dec 1858 to Jane Rogers in Martin Co IN. Jane, born in Dec 1841 in IN, is the daughter of Matthew W. Rogers and an unknown mother.
5. Wilson and Jane had at least 8 children, 5 of whom were living as of the 1900 census (according to Jane's census record). Those known:
a. Ed (b. unknown)
b. Nancy Ann (b. 17 Oct 1859, Shoals, Martin Co IN) m. Stephen Austin Sharum
c. Caroline (b. 5 Apr 1863, Shoals, Martin Co IN) m. Ransom Asbury Sharum
d. Jesse (b. Aug 1871 IN) m. Lillie B. (unknown surname)
e. Julia A. (b. 14 Mar 1874, IN) m. Richard S. Kindell
f. Stephen E. (b. Feb 1879, IN) m. Luella (unknown surname)
6. Wilson served in the Union army during the Civil War, in the 80th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B. A military tombstone has been placed at his burial site.
7. At some point after the birth of Stephen, Wilson and Jane moved from Martin Co. IN to Ripley Co. MO where they lived the remainder of their lives. Wilson died on 9 Oct 1896 and is buried in Towles Cemetery near Doniphan, Ripley Co MO. Jane is listed as a head of household (dwelling #357) in the 1900 census of Doniphan Township, Ripley Co MO. She died on 18 Jan 1917 in Doniphan--her burial location has not yet been determined.
Any information or leads for locating confirming evidence of the details presented above would be appreciated. I am also looking for photos of Wilson, Jane and their family to add to my Salmon digital family album.
Regards, John Reid
P.O. Box 7164
Libertyville IL 60048
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|