From the 1830s to the 1860s, several families in Newton County, Missouri (part of Barry County until 1838) were tied together by Grindstaff marriages. Can anyone tell me how the various Grindstaffs were related -- siblings, cousins, etc.? Here is what I have.
(1) On June 7, 1808, Joseph Ross married Elizabeth Grindstaff in Carter County TN. In 1831 they settled in what became Newton County MO. Based on the 1850 Newton County census, Elizabeth was born about 1794 in NC. She died before December, 1858.
(2) On October 15, 1820, Moses Banks married Charlotte Grindstaff in Carter County TN. They settled in what became Newton County no later than 1835. Based on the 1850 Newton County census, Charlotte was born about 1796 in TN. She died about August, 1872.
(3) On February 15, 1838, Henry Grindstaff married Abbey Beckett in Barry County MO. In the 1840 census, he is shown as age 20-30, living in Carroll County AR, which adjoins Barry County. He was married and had one daughter under age 5. I lose him after 1840.
(4) In the 1850 Newton County MO census, there is a Jacob Grindstaff, single, age 32, born TN. In the 1860 census, he is shown as age 46, married with 2 children of his own and several stepchildren. He apparently fathered a third child, then died about December, 1861.
(5) In the 1850 Newton County MO census, there are several Grindstaff children ranging in age from 6 to 13 farmed out among various families in Newton County (Ross, Rutledge and Holmes). Who was their father?
(6) Another Elizabeth Grindstaff married Jacob Simmerley (or Simerly) in Carter County TN on February 4, 1821. Their daughter Mary Ann Simmerley married John Henry and settled in Newton County MO about 1852.
(7) Just after the Civil War, a J.H. Grindstaff is named in Newton County MO court records in association with John Henry and one of the Banks sons-in-law.
If anyone knows how these various Grindstaffs fit together or has other information about them, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|