States: Missouri: Jefferson
From "Houcks History of Missouri",c.1908; "...the oldest American settlement in upper Louisiana was on the Maramec. The name Hildebrand, twisted into "Albrane" by the Spanish officials is found in the old archives as early as 1770.The Hildebrands were from Monongahela Co.,Pa.,and were German. Some of them were at Fort Jefferson,(Ky),from there in 1782 came to upper Louisiana, where a member of the family had settled before that period. Thomas Tyler here in 1774, in 1779 he acquired the Hildebrand place and in 1791 transferred it to Jacques Clamorgan. In 1791 the Osage Indians became hostile and about this time Peter Hildebrand was killed. In 1800 Adam House was killed by the Osage. Of this murder Pierre de Treget makes this brief and graphic report; Repaired to the Renault Forks with the few militia I could assemble in pursuit of the Indians, on reaching the place I found an old man dead,head cut off and laid at his side, scalp taken and body full of wounds from musket shots,and a few paces by a boy 8 or 9 years old, head cut off lying near him face smeared with blood, with a small piece of maple sugar in his mouth, no wounds in his body from either knife or musket. Robert Owens of Marais de Liards was appointed guardians of the minors Betsy, John and Peggy House. At this time there also resided in this neighborhood Matthew Lord,James Craig,Andrew Park,James Gray,Adam Stroud,Joshua McDonald, and William Belew, a settler on the Maramec in 1778. Belew gave a statement concerning the murder of Hildebrand. Belew was probably an American hunter or trapper.
Settlers on the Joachim. Within the limits of Jefferson county, on the Joachim, Plattin and Big Rivers a number of settlements were made before the Louisiana Purchase. William Null,Sr.and Jr.on Joachim. James Varnum built a distillery and business between Joachim and Plattin in 1801. In 1798 Francis Wideman operated a ferry at the mouth of the Joachim across the Mississippi where Herculaneum was subsequently laid out, built a bridge across the Joachim for accomedation of carts and carriages, but afterward sold out to Jeduthan Kendall. John Sturgis received a grant in 1796 and built a mill on Joachim in 1798 which was later flooded. It was later rebuilt and in 1800 sold to Jacob Horine and Jacob Donner for 1500 gallons of whiskey. Sturgis was a Rev.War veteran. Claiming on Joachim; James Lambert,1797, James Foster,1801,but after moved to Concordia Parish,Louisiana,Walter Jewett,1800,Benjamin Johnson,1802,Isaac VanMeter,1801,John Atkins,1803,Phillip Roberts,1803,Thomas Langley Bevis,1801,David Boyles,1803. On Sandy Creek,John Connor,1803,Randolph Haverstick,1803 from Kaskaskia. Titus Strickland,of New York came over from Kaskaskia about 1796. His wife was a niece of Captain Robert George. Thomas Carlin, from Kentucky settled on Plattin in 1801. Peter McCormick opened a farm in 1802 near the headwaters of the Joachim and Plattin. McCormick was an active Methodist and took a deep interest in education. John Durlin established a stock farm in 1799. John Boli,1798, had a ferry on the Maramec,served in the militia at Carondelet. Hardy Ware cultivated land here in 1799,was on Little Rock Creek and at Mines in 1803. Michael Fostin,1799, from Kaskaskia, his grant extended across the Maramec, Jonathan Hildebrand,1799,Bernard Pratte,1799,a resident from St.Louis and also had claims on the St.Francois, John Williams,Sr.,1800,Ninian Bell Hamilton,1800, Andrew Hamilton and Jacob Collins on Negro Fork,(either Big River or a tributary),in 1802, James Stewart,1802 on Black Water fork of this river,James Davis,1803,land speculator on Negro Fork,Jacob Connor,1803,James Sweeney,1803,owned 10 slaves,afterward moved to Louisiana, Joseph Horn,1803,Hugh McCullough,1803,Joseph Kiver,1803,Peter Lashaway,1803 or prior,John Caldwell,1803,Samuel Bay,1803,Aquilla Wickerham,1803,on Negro Fork,T.Thomas Moses,or Mores,John Brindley,Mary Gill,Hildebrand,1807,Negro Fork. On Grand Glaise Creek, a branch of the Maramec, Alexander mcDonald,1797,Andrew Parker,1797,John and Paul Whitley,1799,Levin Cropper,1798,from Kaskaskia where he served in the militia, Joshua Tansy,1799, Edward Butler,1801 and Phillip Roberts,1802,and their mother,Mrs.Ann Skinner, who was also on the Joachim. Jonathan Skinner and William Drennan,1801,at White Oak Springs,Peggy Jones,1803,William Miller,1803,Thomas Henry,1803,John Hensley,1803,William and David Hensley,1799,John Ball,1803,Thomas and Edward Mason from Kaskaskia. On Little Rock Creek, Samuel Wilson and son John,1801,John Henderson,1802,John Gillmore,1803,George Smirl,Sr.,1801,James Smirl,1802,and George,Jr.on Sandy Creek in 1801. James Richardson owned property on the Maramec in 1796. Richardson had killed a man in Kentucky and fled from the state to upper Louisiana. Thomas Jones was an early resident on the Maramec. In 1780 he received a grant on Richard Creek from Leyba but later was driven away by Indians. His son,John Jones was a witness before the Board of Commissioners as to the dates of settlements as far back as 1786 and events in that locality. Jacob Wickerham, a German owned land on the north side of the Maramec,1796. Wickerham also had a claim on Negro Fork in 1797 but claimed the Indians interfered with improvements. John Coleman,1796, an Irishman,,Thomas Donner,1796,likely a son of Jacob,George Sipp dit Sheep,1796,John Cummings,1797,Christopher carpenter,1797" Many of these families had claims and lived in other areas around St.Louis and Jefferson County, but most were eventually residents of JeffCoMo...Al
Notify Administrator about this message?