Cottonwood County History 1870 - 1970
Book available for viewing at the Cottonwood Historical Society, Windom, MN
Mr. And Mrs. Alfred R. Anacker are the present owners of Willow Springs Farm.
The NE 1/4 of Section 24 was homesteaded by Christian Anacker on January 9, 1886. The papers were recorded in the land office at Tracy, and patent signed by President Grover Cleveland. In 1887 Mr. Anacker bought another 160 acres, adjoining his land from the M and St. L. Railroad.
Christian Anacker came from Germany, with his parents, when he was very young. It took them seven weeks to make the journey by sailboat. To add to the perils of the trip the food supply became very limited, before they reached the United States.
He married Antonia Salzman, who also came from Germany, with her parents, at an early age. Mrs. Anacker came from a large family and had to work away from home when she was very young. She worked in New Ulm and when she became too lonesome she would walk to her home north of Darfur, for a visit with her family.
The building site picked by the Anackers, for their new home, was near a spring, which is still being used. A huge cottonwood tree planted in the 1880's towers as a giant landmark on the farm. The granary, where the family lived until the first house was built, is still used and is in good condition.
The six children born to the Christian Anackers were: Eugenia (Mrs. Fred Weiss); Richard, Stella (Mrs. Jacob Itzenga); Herbert, Hilda, (Mrs. John Mogler of Arlington, South Dakota); and William of Darfur. When Mrs. Mogler was a young woman, she taught rural schools in this area, including District 27 in Selma Township.
The first seven years of their married life were very discouraging, when the grasshoppers took their crops, but their perserverance and courage eventually brought success.
The Christian Anackers moved to St. James in 1911. That same year Richard Anacker married Cyrenna Heska and they rented the farm. The children born to them were: Albert and Edward, who were twins, Alfred, George and Irene. Edward and Irene died in infancy, and Albert died as a young man. George now lives in Mankato, Minnesota and Alfred lives on the farm.
Richard Anacker inherited the farm in 1947 and continued living there until he and his wife moved to Darfur.
Their son, Alfred, married Wilma Wolle, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Henry Wolle of Selma Township on December 6, 1948, when they took over the farming operation. They have six children: Richard, Wesley, Linda, Gale and Marlene and Miles, who are twins.
The Anacker farm is a busy place where all members of the family cooperate to keep up numerous and varied projects. In addition to general farming they raise ponies, hogs, sheep, chickens, ducks and also have a dairy herd.
Mr. Anackerís hobby is his game farm, located east of the buildings in the summer, and housed in barns during the winter. Here may be found many different kinds of pheasants, wild turkeys, quail, peacocks and deer.
This is the only farm in the southeast quarter of Selma township that has remained in the same name since it was homesteaded. With sons in the Alfred Anacker family who are showing a great deal of interest in farming, this land will, no doubt, continue into the future in the Anacker name.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|