"The village of Taylors Falls took its name from the lower part of the St Croix Rapids, called Taylors Falls after Jesse Taylor, the first man who made a claim and a serious attempt at improvement. Mrt Taylor came to the Falls in 1838 and in conjunction with his associate B. F. Baker built a saw mill near what is now known as the upper steamboat landing. THis mill was never operated, but was sold to Joshua L. Taylor, and subsequently moved to Osceola.
Joshua L. Talor in 1848 came to the Falls in the emply of the St Croix Falls Lumber Company. After purchasing the mill, he engaged in logging and in 1849 preempted portions of the site of Taylor's Falls. His older brother, Nathan C. D. Taylor came to the falls in 1846 and joined wi8th his brother in preempting the site of Taylors Falls, and in 1853 engaged in mercantile buisness with Patrick Fox. A third preemptor in the person of W. H. C. Folsm was associated with the Taylor brothers and these three laid out the village of Taylors Falls in 1853.
N. C. D Taylor established the post office in 1851. He built the first gristmill with Folsum and the Day brothers in 1852."
from May 19, 1887 St Croix Valley Standard newspaper.
Next from "Fifty Years in the Northwest"
Jesse Taylor, the first permanent settler of Taylor's Falls, came to the Falls in 1838, as narrated in the general history of the village. Nothing is known of his life before coming to the Falls, except that he was originally from Kentucky, and lived at Fort Snelling, where he was employed as a stonemason. By the death of his associate, B. F. Baker, he came into possession of the mill property and its belongings. This he sold to Joshua L. Taylor in 1846, and removed to Stillwater, where he took a contract for stone work on the prison walls. His name appears as a member of the house from Stillwater in the territorial legislature for 1851 and 1852. He was married in 1844 to Abigail, daughter of widow Edwards, of Stillwater. He left Stillwater in 1853."
Jesse Taylor was not related to the later Taylors--however it is likely that the name Taylors falls was kept because new Taylors moved there!
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|