Mizer Family Genealogy Forum
The beginnings of the William Micer story are steeped in mystery. It is believed that his parents came from Germany; that their names were Joseph and Josephine Micer; that they were Catholic; that he had two brothers, Joseph and Alfred, both older, one older sister, Josephine, and one younger sister, Kate. One of his parents, one of his brothers and his younger sister, Kate, are believed to have died of Small Pox in New York City sometime prior to 1872. He came under the care of the Children's Aid Society of New York City sometime prior to March of 1872, but none of his siblings were sent with him. He mentioned at one time that he sold roasted corn on the streetcars of New York and that he was about 9 or 10 years old when he came to VA (the records state he was "15").
The records of the Children's Aid Society of New York City begin with his traveling to Farmville, VA in March of 1882, with notes on his progress with the family of John Moss and his wife. It is believed that he adopted the middle name of John in honor of his foster father, who died in 1885.
In 1897 William Micer built a log cabin on property he had acquired in Prince Edward County, Virginia. He subsequently married Lelia Florence Redd, a member of a longstanding, well-respected family in the area. In 1899 a daughter was born, Mabel Elvira Micer, followed by a son, Harry Friend Micer, in 1901. In approximately 1902 William and his family moved to Bon Aire, outside of Richmond, VA, to manage a farm for B.F. Johnson. A daughter, Ruth Estelle Micer (still alive), was born there in 1903. After returning to his home in Prince Edward County, VA another house was built in 1905 in time for the arrival of another son, William Oscar Micer in 1907.
We are trying to obtain any additional information on the Micer family prior to/subsequent to 1872.