Descendants of Arne Vasfaret Mickelson
Kari Gulsdatter Vestgrow
Generation No. 1
1. ARNE VASFARET3 MICKELSON (MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) was born October 19, 1826 in Hedalen, Valdres, Oppland, Norway, and died October 23, 1908 in Dane County, Wisconsin. He married KARI GULSDATTER VESTGROW. She was born August 19, 1817 in Valdres, Oppland, Norway, and died September 21, 1908 in Wisconsin.
Notes for ARNE VASFARET MICKELSON:
This Mickelson family is part of the Vasfaret family from Norway.
from the book, Vermont History, Biographical Sketches, Then...Now, published August 1977, by Vermont Church's bicentennial committee, pgs. 31-32
IN DISCUSSING NAMES
Vermont had its own problems with three. The name Mikkel must have been loved by mothers in Norway; so many families seemed to have one of them. When they came to America, the children of the Mikkels became Mickelsons. It was confusing in Vermont because there were four distinct families, entirely unrelated.
There were two Arne Mickelsons. One, Arne Glaghang* Mickelson, came from Begnedalen in Valdres and was the father of Martin and Ever and their sisters. The other, Arne Vasfaret Mickelson, came from Hedalen in Valdres and was the father of Andrew, Gabriel and Bertha.
Then there were Mikkel and Aagat Mickelson, from Sogn, Norway, parents of Mike Mickelson, who farmed the place where Jon Jurness and Bob and Edith Lickel presently live; bought the tavern in Black Earth. His children were Harry, Adolph, Arthur and Viola.
The father of Elliot Mickelson (Connie Goderstad's father), was Mikkel Mickelson, son of Mikkel Sukki (stepson of one of our earliest settlers, Halvor Bakken).
The Haugen name could be used by many, since "Haugen" means hill. The Gladhaugen** Mickelson family were often called Haugen.
*spelled this way in the book
**spelled this way in the book
More About ARNE VASFARET MICKELSON:
Emigration: 1849, Hedalen, Valdres, Oppland, Norway
Children of ARNE MICKELSON and KARI VESTGROW are:
2. i. GABRIEL4 MICKELSON, b. August 04, 1850.
ii. HAROLD MICKELSON, m. UNKNOWN MOEN.
More About HAROLD MICKELSON:
Cause of Death: kicked to death by a horse
3. iii. ANDREW A. MICKELSON, b. January 20, 1860.
4. iv. BERTHA MICKELSON.
Generation No. 2
2. GABRIEL4 MICKELSON (ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) was born August 04, 1850. He married MARIE THOMPSON 1875.
More About GABRIEL MICKELSON:
Occupation: Sheriff of Dane County, owned lumber yard in Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin
More About GABRIEL MICKELSON and MARIE THOMPSON:
Children of GABRIEL MICKELSON and MARIE THOMPSON are:
i. CASPAR5 MICKELSON, d. 1961, San Diego, California.
ii. ALBERT MICKELSON, b. 1876, Wisconsin; d. 1963, Wisconsin; m. LOLA SCHOUP.
More About ALBERT MICKELSON:
Education: 1901, graduated from University of Wisconsin
Individual Note: practiced law in Mt. Horeb and Madison
Occupation: Bet. 1903 - 1906, Vice Council and Deputy Counsul in Copenhagen, Denmark
iii. CARRIE MICKELSON, b. 1878; d. 1925.
5. iv. GENEVA MICKELSON, b. 1880.
v. ALMA MICKELSON, b. 1885; d. 1915, Ontario, Oregon; m. JAMES BLAEKEBY, 1915.
More About JAMES BLAEKEBY and ALMA MICKELSON:
vi. DELL MICKELSON, b. 1889; d. 1962; m. HERBERT RINDY; d. 1963.
3. ANDREW A.4 MICKELSON (ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) was born January 20, 1860. He married MATHEA "MATTIE" MONSON BERGINE.
Notes for ANDREW A. MICKELSON:
Andrew A. Mickelson
Andrew A. Mickelson, senior member of the firm of A. A. Mickelson & Co., dealers in lumber and building materials at Black Earth, was born at Vermont, Dane county, January 20, 1860. His parents, Arne and Carrie (Grove) Mickelson, were both born in Norway, married in their native land, and in 1849 came to America. They first settled at Blooming Grove, Dane county, but after one season there removed to Vermont. Here the father secured a tract of government land, which he improved and added to until he owned two hundred forty acres. From 1870 to 1875 the family lived at Mt. Horeb, where Mr. Mickelson's brother, Gabriel, is now engaged in the lumber business. They afterward removed to the farm where Mr. Mickelson's death occurred in 1889. His widow is still living, aged eighty-eight years, and makes her home with her son, Andrew A. Arne Mickelson was a consistent Republican in his political opinions, and in religious matters affiliated with the Lutheran church. Of the children born to him and his wife, Michael and Jorand are deceased; Bertha and Andrew A. are still living, the latter being the subject of this sketch. He received a fair education in the home schools, always lived at home with his parents, taking care of them in their declining years. In March, 1895, he entered the employ of the Patron Mercantile Company, in the village of Black Earth, and remained with that concern until the following January, when he bought his present business. The firm handles all kinds of building material, and also deals in flour, etc. In 1902 Mr. Mickelson sold the old home farm, and since then has devoted all his time and energies to his business. He is regarded as one of the successful men of the village, is a director of the state bank of Black Earth, and a member of the school board. Politically he is a Republican and has held several local offices, the duties of which he has discharged to the entire satisfaction of the electors. In church matters he has followed the faith of his parents and belongs to the Lutheran denomination. On November 10, 1883, Mr. Mickelson was united in marriage to Miss Mattie Bergine, a native of Norway, whose parents were Andrew and Mattie Bergine. To this marriage have been born the following children: Alfred, now with the Northern Electric Company, of Madison, in the capacity of bookkeeper; Carrie, deceased; Christina, at home; Carl, deceased; Carl and Bertha at home with their parents, and Emma, deceased.
--From History of Dane County, ed. Elisha W. Keyes, (Western Historical Association: Madison, 1906), pp. 624-625.
More About ANDREW A. MICKELSON:
Occupation: established A. A. Mickelson Lumber Company, Black Earth, Wisconsin
More About MATHEA "MATTIE" MONSON BERGINE:
Children of ANDREW MICKELSON and MATHEA BERGINE are:
6. i. ALFRED5 MICKELSON.
ii. CARRIE MICKELSON.
iii. CHRISTINE MICKELSON.
iv. CARL MARTIN MICKELSON.
7. v. CARL JOHN MICKELSON.
vi. BERTHA MICKELSON, m. ANDREW THOMPSON.
vii. EMMA MICKELSON.
4. BERTHA4 MICKELSON (ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) She married ANDREW THOMPSON.
Children of BERTHA MICKELSON and ANDREW THOMPSON are:
i. MARTHA5 THOMPSON.
8. ii. CLARA THOMPSON.
iii. ALFRED THOMPSON.
iv. JOSEPH THOMPSON.
v. THEA THOMPSON.
Generation No. 3
5. GENEVA5 MICKELSON (GABRIEL4, ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) was born 1880. She married IRA RICE.
Children of GENEVA MICKELSON and IRA RICE are:
9. i. GABRIEL "GABE"6 RICE.
10. ii. ROSEMARY RICE.
6. ALFRED5 MICKELSON (ANDREW A.4, ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) He married ESTHER LUNDALL.
Children of ALFRED MICKELSON and ESTHER LUNDALL are:
i. FRANCES6 MICKELSON, m. ARTHUR KOENEG.
ii. CARROLL MICKELSON, m. HELEN HANSON.
iii. ANNA MAE MICKELSON, m. ELMER CARLSON.
iv. EARL MICKELSON, m. LUELLA PECHEM.
More About EARL MICKELSON:
Military service: World War II
v. RONALD MICKELSON.
More About RONALD MICKELSON:
Death date: Died in infancy
7. CARL JOHN5 MICKELSON (ANDREW A.4, ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) He married UNKNOWN.
More About CARL JOHN MICKELSON:
Military service: World War I, France, wounded at Chateau Thiery
Child of CARL MICKELSON and UNKNOWN is:
11. i. JOYCE6 MICKELSON.
8. CLARA5 THOMPSON (BERTHA4 MICKELSON, ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) She married MIKE JOHNSON.
Children of CLARA THOMPSON and MIKE JOHNSON are:
i. ALBERTA6 JOHNSON, m. REED PRICE.
ii. WALLACE JOHNSON.
iii. RAMON JOHNSON.
iv. FERN JOHNSON, d. Bef. 1977.
12. v. FOREST JOHNSON.
Generation No. 4
9. GABRIEL "GABE"6 RICE (GENEVA5 MICKELSON, GABRIEL4, ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) He married JANE UNKNOWN.
More About GABRIEL "GABE" RICE:
Residence: 1977, Fort Thomas, Kentucky
Children of GABRIEL RICE and JANE UNKNOWN are:
i. MIKE7 RICE.
ii. CHRISTIE RICE.
iii. DICK RICE.
10. ROSEMARY6 RICE (GENEVA5 MICKELSON, GABRIEL4, ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) She married RICHARD KNOBLOCK.
Children of ROSEMARY RICE and RICHARD KNOBLOCK are:
i. SANDRA7 KNOBLOCK.
ii. LINDA KNOBLOCK.
11. JOYCE6 MICKELSON (CARL JOHN5, ANDREW A.4, ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) She married FRANCIS KNEELAND.
Children of JOYCE MICKELSON and FRANCIS KNEELAND are:
i. KATHY7 KNEELAND.
ii. JANIS KNEELAND.
12. FOREST6 JOHNSON (CLARA5 THOMPSON, BERTHA4 MICKELSON, ARNE VASFARET3, MIKKEL VASFARET OR MIKKEL2, UNKNOWN1 VASFARET) He married DORIS DYER.
More About FOREST JOHNSON:
Occupation: Manager, Eggum & Johnson Lumber Company
Children of FOREST JOHNSON and DORIS DYER are:
i. TED7 JOHNSON.
ii. MARK JOHNSON.
iii. ANNE JOHNSON.
iv. FRED JOHNSON.
Source: Vermont History, Biographical Sketches, Then...Now, published 1977
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|