I tried to access your web site but was unable to view due to an error code. Some information which might be of interest to you.
Source: Certificate of Baptism (The Church of St. Ignatius of Loyola, Saint Ignace, Mackinac County, Michigan)
This is to Certify, that Josephus Kiwandaway, son of Petri Kiwandaway and Margarite Abbott born on the 1st day of December, 1849 was Baptized on the 13th day of January, 1850.
Sponsors: Joseph Martin and Maria Hens
Reverand: A.D. J. Piret
Source: Margaret Stebbins-DePriester (October 1998)
In the later years of Joseph's life he lived with his daughter, Lenore and her family in Saint Ignace.
Source: Gros Cap Cemetery Records (Page 68)
Josette, wife of Joseph (Note: Joseph Kewandaway was a Chippewa Indian. He was born in 1849. In a notebook kept by the Blanchard family it states "Joe was the son of a Chief of the Potawatome and was poisoned by bad medicine. There is also a mention of Nora Kewandaway* whose Indian name was Was-A-Go-Ziks. Joseph Kewandway married Josette Goudreau and died in March 1935. He is buried in this plot with no marker.) *This is Lenore who married Elmer Clement.
1997/There is a marker in Gros Cap Cemetery which reads Joseph Kywondway next to the grave marker for his wife, Josette.
Also know as Giwandawe
Gros Cap Records:
Pierre Kiwandaway was Chief of the Potowatomi Tribe. Born 1816 in Penetangushine, Ontario, died April 20, 1856. Buried in St. Ignatius Cemetery, St. Ignace, Michigan
Copied in part from the Gros Cap Cemetery, Mackinac County Michigan
by Mrs. Emerson (Margaret) Smith, St. Ignace, Reprinted from "Michigan Heritage", Winter 1961, Volume III No. 2, Kalamazoo, Michigan
The exact date of this cemetery's origin is unknown, but from numerous discoveries and all evidence obtainable it is safe to say that it was first used by residents of the Ottawa settlement which existed on this shore in the 17th century. Gros Cap Cemetery is reputed to the the oldest cemetery in continuous use in the United States. It was undoubtedly one of the largest Indian congregations of the Old Northwest and prospered during the early fur trapping time. In recognition of the significant history of the vicinity, a marker was erected which can be seen from the highway. The text of this marker was prepared after a long study by the Michilimackinac Historical Society. It reads:
Ottawa Indian Village
Here on West Moran Bay, a large 17th century Ottawa village was directly connected by trail and water with Michilimackinac center on Moran Bay, Lake Huron. Both bays were named for Trader Morin whose post was at this settlement. The original burial ground serves the community today. Erected by The Township of Moran, 1960, at the ancient campfire site. (Approved by the Michilimackinac Historical Society).
Apparently Schoolcraft had this old burial ground in mind when he passed the area in 1824, and wrote, "We camped in wide sandy bay in the Straits of Mackinac. We found in the sand, stumps of cedar pickets forming an antique enclosure which had been founded at the time of the Mission of St. Ignace, over 250 years ago".
For many years this burial place was known as the Western Cemetery. It came under township jurisdiction in 1889 when the Moran Township Board organized it and placed it under their control. At the time the plot was narrowed on the west side and known graves were reburied within the new confines, leaving some unknown to remain in irregular plots outside the borders. Since then it has been necessary to expand the cemetery area, especially on the north and east.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|