Tinkers Island was originally named Robinsons Island for its original settler John Robinson.
The first English Settler within the present limits of Mt. Desert was John Roberson who about 1761 settled on Island
which bears his name. Ref: Survey of Hancock County - Wasson pp. 25 (Cranberry Isles)
In 1815 his Widow Anna and sons John Jr. and David Robinson sold what remained of his holdings on the island (100 Acres of southeast end of Robinsons Island)
to Jonathan Tinker for $375.
More details of Tinker family and other later residents of the island may be found in Islands of the Mid Maine Coast, Blue Hill and Penobscot Bay by Charles B. McLane.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|